advertisement

AT33PTG.

nice heads up Mr T,

on ebay for £515 +15pnp
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/audio-technica-NEW-MC-cartridge-AT33PTG-II-/200539073821
(never used the seller - so caveat emptor n all that)

audio-technica AT33PTG/II
Pursued sound quality and weight saving.
Improved boron pure tapered cantilever and lighter vibration system.
High performance and life long Micro linear stylus(average 1000hours) .
Dramatically increased magnetic energy for neodymium magnet and permendur york.
PCOCC(Pure Copper by Ohno Continuous Casting process) coil reproduces more purer sound.
High separation and wide response dual moving coil.
Anti-vibration designed Potassium titanate mixed rigid synthetic resin VC mold.
High rigidly body was designed aluminum alloy based rigid resin and anti-parasitic resonance.
Release Date: November 19 - edit: may be more up soon then!!
SPECIFICATION
Balanced output 0.5 dB (1kHz)
Coil Impedance 10 Ω (1 kHz)
Appropriate Stylus Pressure 1.8 - 2.2 g (2.0g Standard)
Output Voltage 0.3 mV (1kHz, 5cm/sec.)
Channel Separation 30 dB (1kHz)
Frequency Range at play 15 - 50,000 Hz
DC Resistance 10 Ω
Load resistance 100 Ω or more (head amp)
Coil Inductance 22 μ H (1kHz)
Static Compliance 40 × 10-6cm/dyne
Dynamic Compliance
10 × 10 -6 cm / dyne (100Hz)
Stylus Point Shape
Micro Linear (ML)

Cantilever Boron pure tapered
Vertical tracking angle: 23
Dimensions/ Weight
H16 × W16.6 × D26.5mm / 6.9g

the 'ev' is £446

I think I paid £235 all in (grrr customs) for my PTG, I pray the children never get interested in it... I must put up that TT wall shelf! (have to move to a solid wall though, heavied space deck)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Out of curiosity, the cartridge last only like 1000 hrs.

Where do you get your replacement cartridge when you buy one from a gray market vendor?

Just send it to third party retipper?

The new price is much increased and is now similar to the 33EV. So are some of the specs. I wonder how different they sound? The microlinear stylus profile has its own signature sound.

I am sticking to my Denon 103pro for the time being but am indeed intrigued by this new PTGII.

the 'ev' is £446

Whoa. That's over 700$USD.

You can buy the EV for 400$ ( 399.99$ ) from an authorised AT dealer in the US ( with free shipping within the US )

A friend paid 250$USD for a used PTG last year.

I had an AT33PTG in my P9/RB1000/Diablo. Loved the cartridge but tried an alternative when it started to lose its edge due to high hours.

A Denon DL304 is a similar price and, for me, is the better all rounder. Both great catridges for the money but the Denon is the more neutral and balanced though its strengths are no where near as immediate.

I like it so much I bought another for my second table!

Best price I could find and superb service is £293 from HiFix.co.uk.

Cheers

I replaced my Denon DL103 to the AT 33PTG on my Rega P5 and was gobsmacked at the level of improvements in clarity, detail and excitement. The sound is so much livelier and dynamic and there was this get-up-and-dance feeling when the DL103 was swapped out with the AT 33 PTG. I really love this cart and would not hesitate to get the same replacement when the time comes. Unfortunately the AT 33PTG is no longer produced.

The DL304 seems to be considerably costlier than the AT 33PTG. Is there a cart that sound almost similar to the AT 33PTG at a cheaper price?

Where do you get your replacement cartridge when you buy one from a gray market vendor?
Do AT do a retip or back a replacement/trade in scheme?

Anyway in the UK at least the AT33xxx are not officially imported, so direct importation from Japan isn't really 'grey'.

Paul

Its impossible to draw SQ conclusions form AT specs- the PTG and R are identical on paper with the no longer available R costing double the price of the PTG

The R was limited edition, so it looks like the PTGII is the R but not erm.....limited, and wearing a new dress.

Time to resurrect this thread I think.

Just had a first listen to my recently purchased Gyro/Orbe/Audiomods.

Came with an AT33PTG Prestige fitted.

I have to say the deck, even sat on the carpet, sounds very good indeed and in line with what I'd expect cf. my LP12.

However, on a brand new copy of the Reprise re-press of Joni Mitchell's Blue, the surface noise is pretty high. I doubt it's the pressing.

So? Is it the cartridge? Is the low output showing up my EAR 834 phono stage?
Is it a set up issue?

Running at an initial tracking weight of 1.8gm, set very accurately with a Roksan Digital thingy.

Any/all advice/views welcome.

Mull

Time to resurrect this thread I think.

Just had a first listen to my recently purchased Gyro/Orbe/Audiomods.

Came with an AT33PTG Prestige fitted.

I have to say the deck, even sat on the carpet, sounds very good indeed and in line with what I'd expect cf. my LP12.

However, on a brand new copy of the Reprise re-press of Joni Mitchell's Blue, the surface noise is pretty high. I doubt it's the pressing.

So? Is it the cartridge? Is the low output showing up my EAR 834 phono stage?
Is it a set up issue?

Running at an initial tracking weight of 1.8gm, set very accurately with a Roksan Digital thingy.

Any/all advice/views welcome.

Mull

I have the AT33PTG Prestige on a Project RPM9.1x running into an EAR 834P Deluxe/Jadis Orchestra/Harbeth M30s

Different deck, amplification and speakers, which will all make a difference of course, but I've run the AT in both original 'stock' version and, following an accident(!), with an ESCO retip. Neither version struck me as noisy when properly set up and there seems to be plenty of gain with the EAR. Have you experimented with VTA ? I found it quite sensitive to small changes.

PS. ......or, as steve67 says, it could simly be worn out!

Shouldn't be noisy if in good condition.

The output is on the high side for a low output MC so shouldn't be causing the phono stage any issue.

Are we talking about surface hiss/roar or ticks/clicks or both?

I would characterise it as a hiss, verging on a roar. It is not pops and clicks.

The Cart has not had much use AFAIK. I'll have more of a listen tomorrow, try a few more records and report back.

Mull

advertisement

Back