advertisement

AT33PTG.

33R? My apologies I have checked about and find microphones. I take it this is an AT cart. What is it and now much does it cost?

....ah got you there ha ha. It is the AT33 R for Reference and cost exactly double the price of the PTG. It has same shape of body but with tighter tolerences and improved damping of the body.
You even get a fancy mag headshell with it. I know what you're going to ask me next.

LOL.
I was fearing you would ask what the R sounds like compared with the PTG. Ive never heard both in the same time period.The R was on an SME V for 3 years until last week when I got my Grasshopper back, now its on an Ekos/LP12. The current PTG is still in the box and I dont fancy taking the R off the Ekos becase it was a barstrd to align and set up. When I think the R is on its last legs I'll get it swapped over.BLoody hope its better because it cost twice as much.....All I can say was that when I put my first AT33PTG on the SME I was gobsmacked by how good it was, and that was after a Grasshopper.

I got mine from this chap on ebay Ace_of_bicycle2004 but for some reason can not see his items or shop on ebay,yet he has recieved feedback today for items sold.

I bought mine from Ace of bicycles as well, he put down $10 as the value so it sailed through the postal systems. Looking back on ebay I bought it on 1 September 2009, and Ace of bicycles has nothing for sale at the moment.

Only the mono version shows up now or the more expensive version AT 33 EV which is not meant to track as well?

I have my mine mounted on my Xenon arm and am listening to it at the moment, just a great cartridge for the £250 I paid for it. Think you would have to pay £££'s more to do better.

May try it in the 12" Jelco when I get my SP10 back from servicing.

Hi Kuma

I just installed my 33EV on my ARO a couple of weeks ago, replacing an aging but still OK sounding 33ML. The EV sounds more balanced in comparison to the PTG or ML and provides better fleshed out lower notes. However, I am finding that it can sound quite different from album to album; some records sound really rolled off in the highs (e.g. Classic Records reissue of Hendrix Band of Gypsies) whereas others (e.g. CR mono reissue of Axis) are OK. I did not notice this with my 33ML where there was always a lot of highs, if a bit exaggerated.

Are you having the same experience with yours? Or is it a question of running in?

Rgds,

hock,

Whilst we all think microridge/line contact track better than the elliptical styli, I haven't found any gross mistracking by the 33EV.

I haven't heard the 33ML, but I always felt that Audio Technica cartridge with LC type had an artificial edge to them.

I did not go through an extensive run in with the EV, but this cartridge has a different tracking requirement and impedance from the past 33 Series, so it might need a slight tweak on your set up, maybe?

I can't say I have experienced gross mistracking or excessive roll offs in trebles with the EV.

It's a pretty good MC cartridge for 400$.

Which table are you using?

I've made some preliminary impedance and capacitance adjustments to the phono stage. The ML (precursor of the PTG) has a lower impedance requirement (which partly explains why users complain that this cartridge is bright when using their standardised 47kOhm phono stages) while the EV requires 100+ohm.

In going from my 8 year old ML to the EV, the notes became more fleshed out and less focused on the leading edge. Sorta like moving on from Naim...:p

I don't have any issues with mistracking with the EV. What I've noticed is while the overall sound is more balanced, there is greater variation from record to record especially in the highs. Perhaps it means that this cartridge is more transparent. I will have to let the EV run in first (<50 hrs) before coming to any conclusions.

I am using an old Basis Debut. Overall I am happy with the EV.

hock.

You don't find the ARO out of depth for your Debut?

I load my EV at 300 ohms. ( Phonosophie No.3/P3PS ) It's a bit bland compared to Akiva or Miyabi/47 but it was more successful than several Dynavectors on the same table.

Mark.

Not it wasn't my intention at all.
The 33EV's retail is 900$. But the street price is 400$ which I think it's jut about right.

I haven't heard many low output MCs under 500$ aside from an OC9 & Denon 103 variants so, not certain how competitive it is amongst its peers.

Does anyone know where you can buy one of these bloody things in the UK? Even the Japanese outfits are out of stock!

The 33PTG is discontinued. All you will find will be from someone who stocked up NOS at a silly price probably.

hock.

You don't find the ARO out of depth for your Debut?

I wouldn't know any better -- it's the only arm I've had on this table although I've heard an Airtangent linear tracking arm on it that sounded terrible. I've been very happy with it for over 6 years. I can't be bothered with hifi gear much anymore unless something goes wrong. Although just last week a dealer has been trying to tempt me with the Vector 4 tonearm...:rolleyes:

I wasn't aware that the PTG has been discontinued. They were pretty thin on the ground last week when I was looking for one for a friend. I wouldn't bother trying too hard to source one though, knowing Audio Technica it's highly likely they'll come up with a replacement soon.

Hock,

My guess is that they might come up with something for their 50th Anniversary in 1011/1012. ( PTG was 35th and ANV was 45th Anniversary. )

advertisement

Back