advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Mr I but it only has the MDAC section.

BTW just came across another IAG surprise. They've posted news on the Quad web site of another MDAC rival!

http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/Product.aspx?lang=En&Tab=37

Quad's Link D-1 USB DAC supports sampling from 32kHz to 192kHz based on Crystal CS4398 DAC. Asynch USB, SPDIF, coax inputs, RCA only output, remote control. Wonder what the price is?

Thanks Mr I but it only has the MDAC section.

BTW just came across another IAG surprise. They've posted news on the Quad web site of another MDAC rival!

http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/Product.aspx?lang=En&Tab=37

Quad's Link D-1 USB DAC supports sampling from 32kHz to 192kHz based on Crystal CS4398 DAC. Asynch USB, SPDIF, coax inputs, RCA only output, remote control. Wonder what the price is?

Well it's a USB DAC, but it doesn't have multiple digital inputs, volume control, balanced outputs or a headphone socket. Interestingly it does claim 192k over USB.

Can't believe it will support 192k with windows - it claims it needs no special drivers but the standard windows driver doesn't go that high.

Also not asynchronous usb (certainly no claims to that effect and they'd be shouting it from the rooftops if it were)

Can't believe it will support 192k with windows - it claims it needs no special drivers but the standard windows driver doesn't go that high.

Also not asynchronous usb (certainly no claims to that effect and they'd be shouting it from the rooftops if it were)
Strange, the 8200 series claims to have asynchronous USB on the Audiolab website, yet no such claims for the MDAC. The MDAC page is mainly talking about another Audiolab product altogether.
I think I might hang on with my MDAC order until they sort out their website & spec for the MDAC is more than hearsay.

NO NO NO NO

it ONLY takes a DIGITAL SIGNAL

Digital Input
Digital control of volume
Digital to Analogue Converter
Analogue Output

You are right.

I scrolled back to post 179 *(this thread is waaaaaay too big), it has digital inputs only.

If you have tape deck, analogue radio, phono stage etc you will still need a pre-amp.

I do agree with Gordon, the use of the words ''pre-amp'' are bound to cause confusion. " It is a DAC that has a digital volume control " is longer but would prevent this I think.

Strange, the 8200 series claims to have asynchronous USB on the Audiolab website, yet no such claims for the MDAC. The MDAC page is mainly talking about another Audiolab product altogether.
I think I might hang on with my MDAC order until they sort out their website & spec for the MDAC is more than hearsay.
Up to you when/whether you choose to order, and why you choose to order or not.

MDAC is asynchronous usb. It's not hearsay.

You are right.

I scrolled back to post 179 *(this thread is waaaaaay too big), it has digital inputs only.

If you have tape deck, analogue radio, phono stage etc you will still need a pre-amp.

I do agree with Gordon, the use of the words ''pre-amp'' are bound to cause confusion. " It is a DAC that has a digital volume control " is longer but would prevent this I think.

If you have digital only sources then its the MDAC otherwise there is the DQ which has the analogue inputs you require. Not sure on when this will be in production tho. Price is expected to be £800 if I recall. Audiolab have called it a media centre in their literature.

The 8200CD and MDAC both run digital only pre-amp sections, neither of them has analogue inputs/throughput capability.

The MDAc is the only current Audiolab item to have the CROSS output stage.

The MDAC comes with an OLED display, same as the upgrade kit one that is available for the CDQ.

Current production of the CDQ contains the transformer and OLED upgrade but these will be shipped by boat- so some time out yet.

The CDQ requires return to base software updates for half of the chips.

The MDAC is built to be upgraded by the USb input and will likely have a little java applications so it can be done from 'any' web enabled OS.

The silver MDACs have shipped, the black ones are currently being built, probably assembled by the time you read this. Silver might be in dealers this week, black very likely early first week Nov.

And that was pretty much the public consumption news and updates from John this afternoon...

A few posts later, you say 'MDAC IS asynchronous USB it's not hearsay" Make your mind up. You're making it up as you go!

The spec published on the Quad web site is "Digital input 1 x USB (asynchronous mode)"

Did anyone get accross to the show and meet John then? I never managed to get over.

I will be using the Mdac for my computer but if I do need to play a CD do you think I will get decent results feeding the Mdac from my Denon 3910 DVD player?

Did anyone get accross to the show and meet John then? I never managed to get over.

I will be using the Mdac for my computer but if I do need to play a CD do you think I will get decent results feeding the Mdac from my Denon 3910 DVD player?

Don't see why not.

John W mentioned here that the jitter rejection on the Mdac is superb and I imagine the transort in a big Denon is going to be well engineered anyway.

I couldn't make it to Manchester either, bummer. But it doesn't sound as if we missed much according to the thread here.

I'm Aastonished people are confused by any of this stuff.
It's all in the thread many, many times.

????

No disrespect to Major Tom but some people aren't technical and dont know about these things and they are most welcome to ask a simple or obvious questions without being called confused or silly or whatever.
Lets not make Major Tom already more upset than he is, he's already lost control of his space ship... :)

Ah right best of both worlds then. No not yet. I really hope it will be this week. The tension is killing me!!! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back