advertisement

AT 95 cartridge.

Though I understand the notion of supporting your local Hi-Fi shop I've had indifferent service from many of them. Sometimes their knowledge is lacking and they are often tied to supporting certain products. You ask to listen to a Rega speaker for example and they suggest an alternative immediately. Their need to compete with on line businesses has cheapened much of the service.I recently went to a well known shop to ask them to repair a turntable, they said they would contact the manufacturer and source the parts. After 3 weeks I phoned up. They told me that the manufacturer had not responded to their phone calls and this was typicical. So what did I do. I emailed the manufacturer in Germany. They emailed back within a day, apologised and sent the parts to the shop. They said they would let me have them for free so the shop should only charge for fitting. When I went to retrieve the turntable after a further few weeks, the shop owner told me that they had asked them to not charge for the parts. He was surprised. This is why I shop on line more.I've not yet had a bad experience and I've saved a mountain of money.

You and I have had similar experiences. Having used many hi-fi dealers over the years I've found the after sales service to be pretty poor in most cases, usually if something develops a fault. I've returned products only to hear nothing for months (I like to play the waiting game to see if they'll bother to get back to me which most don't), and when I do get in contact I either get an excuse, a "oh sorry, we forgot", or an immediate replacement / refund. I usually buy online now or through dealers like Richer Sounds who in my experience have better customer service than any. Not only will they beat online prices, but they don't make a fuss or develop a poor attitude if something should go wrong. On the occasions when I've had faulty products from them, they've been immediately replaced without issue. We also recently used their extended warranty on a TV and that service was extremely efficient too.

I like the AT95 on my RB300/Planar3 but I find the end of side distortion a bit too untidy. Is it my setup or alignmnent skills or is this the drawback of the price vs performance?

Which protractor did you use for alignment and what tracking force is the cart set to? You sometimes get a bit of ESD but I've never noticed anything excessive.

I lost the Rega protractor ages ago so was using one from a magazine, can't remember which. I'm not anywhere near it so can't check the tracking weight until later.

advertisement

Back