advertisement

Astell & Kern Kann vs Other models - Anyone have experience?

stimpy

pfm Member
Hi there folks,

Had a last minute late night eBay purchase of an AK Kann earlier in the year. I'm new to all this digital stuff let alone PMPs. I'll admit I hadn't really done my research and the unit has far larger storage capacity than I need and is of course quite sizeable..

All that said, so far I have found the actual sound pretty impressive from it. Currently I only have a pair of cheap IEMs (China DQ6) but would like to buy some decent cans for it - I'll start another thread I guess... I have also plugged it into my Linn system where it has performed well also.

I guess my question here is do some of the smaller - ie SR25 units - sound as good as this unit or what else have folk used in their line up?. I'm aware that the Kann as an amp is pretty impressive compared to many others and thus should drive decent cans well also?

Currently I only have a few albums on it a mate put on, but I will be burning some of my CDs onto it shortly ( **Even though I know some don't agree with this**). I believe from a streaming point of view it is very limited, something I have not done yet but may in the future future...

Thanks all...

I have had the SR25 and currently own the AK380 copper and SP1000 along with an I basso dx220 with various amp modules. All of the AK models have excellent sound quality and will scale well with whatever IEMs you decide to use. I have multiple IEMs and just bought some customs so will be looking to pass on a few pairs of universals which may interest you. The Kann is probably the largest player along side the sp1000 2000 etc when they have the optional amp attached. The 380 is warmer sounding than the sp1000 both are well textured and detailed. I have used them as a reference point to help get my main hifi setup which i found invaluable. Earphone wise i currently have custon QDC anole VX Campfire solaris 2020 Unique melody mests Audeze LCDi4s Shure KSE1200 and Final Audio Piono Forte X. All sound excellent with the AK players

Forgot

The SR25 was excellent too and with all things HiFi the gains to the sp1000 at its original rrp of 3k are not substantial but the more expensive units will drive more difficult full size cans especially with the add on amp and are more detailed a little more open etc.

Thank you for your input David. Personally I am not a fan of the in ear offerings - I think I just don't like stuff in my ears! - hence I'd like to get some decent cans shortly...
Would you say the SR25 struggled then to drive cans? I have seen the SP1000 at "reasonable" costs, what does this bring to the party? Or just a little more of everything?..

I cant say over the Kann but would expect an sp1000 to outperform the Kann in most areas. Id get the cans first and try the Kann. Most of the quality IEMs are easily on a par ( baring soundstage ) with full size cans and have whittled my full sized cans down to just two as a result. Getting decent tips is the key to long term comfort and when done you dont know your wearing them.

I cant say over the Kann but would expect an sp1000 to outperform the Kann in most areas. Id get the cans first and try the Kann. Most of the quality IEMs are easily on a par ( baring soundstage ) with full size cans and have whittled my full sized cans down to just two as a result. Getting decent tips is the key to long term comfort and when done you dont know your wearing them.

I don't find the IEMs I have that uncomfortable, I just don't like things in my ear and would like a larger soundstage. I think they are incredible for what they are, and these are only a cheap set..

With regards Cans, which units do you use with your A&K?. A buddy of mine has some LCD2 he is going to lend me - though they do have a larger plug end so an adapter will be needed which I never like....

The A&K SP1000 is very good but at the last HIFi show at the Novotel in Hammersmith, the top of the range Sony, I thought was equally good but used a mains powered headphone amp., for their closed headphones.
For the best sound quality with the A&K sp1000 (and Sony) I rate the DSF files. In fact I have bought an SP1000 and I rate the DSF files ripped from my analogue turntable, sound marginally better than CD ripped files. For information DSF is the system used for SACD.

Big Planars are unlikely to be a good match or at least not getting the optimum from the headphones without an amp. With the AK380 and SP1000 I have used Focal Utopias hd800s Various Grados and Byers probably more but i cant recall just now. I sold most of my High end over ears Stax 009s KGSS amp LCD4 HiFi Mans and a few others too and kept a pair of Raal SR1as and Sonoma M1s both of which require their own amps. When in the garden I hook the SP1000 up to some minirig 3 speakers with the sub and the sound is very good given the size and portability of the system.

Hi there folks,

Had a last minute late night eBay purchase of an AK Kann earlier in the year. I'm new to all this digital stuff let alone PMPs. I'll admit I hadn't really done my research and the unit has far larger storage capacity than I need and is of course quite sizeable..

All that said, so far I have found the actual sound pretty impressive from it. Currently I only have a pair of cheap IEMs (China DQ6) but would like to buy some decent cans for it - I'll start another thread I guess... I have also plugged it into my Linn system where it has performed well also.

I guess my question here is do some of the smaller - ie SR25 units - sound as good as this unit or what else have folk used in their line up?. I'm aware that the Kann as an amp is pretty impressive compared to many others and thus should drive decent cans well also?

Currently I only have a few albums on it a mate put on, but I will be burning some of my CDs onto it shortly ( **Even though I know some don't agree with this**). I believe from a streaming point of view it is very limited, something I have not done yet but may in the future future...

Thanks all...
I had the earlier Kanin and thought that good but with ordinary iem, now have SP1000 with Campfire Audio IEM and it is amazing. I got mine from Ebay

I took a chance on the 7hz Timeless and can only say wow, not in comparison with any other decent IEMs but simple enjoyment and clarity. I’m only running them through a Poco X3 phone with 320kbps rips from my FLACs and have been reading up on all manner of DAPs.

That’s been an eye opener at the prices, tech and poor battery life on just about everything including those with higher claims. I get it that it’s a combination of battery draw vs power, unbalanced vs higher-draw balanced, lower economies of scale compared with phone companies, size reflecting battery size et al. But a real disappointment that there doesn’t seem to be much that is high quality and truly pocketable in the UK. Those in the UK, EU and US seem to get poor support from the leading brand Chi options.

I haven’t worked out the right answer yet, but in the meantime I’m enjoying. For context at home I have HD600, AKG702 and 109Pro, Schiit Magni 2 with Sonos in one room and RME DAC and Raumfeld connector in another room that accesses the NAS-stored FLACs.

I have the A&K Kann and use Audeze LCD5 which is Audeze's top planar headphone and the Kann works brilliantly through them using Qobuz hires files. So the better the headphone the better the output from the Kanns. I also have dCS Rossini APEX which I also use with the Audeze . The Kanns aren't embarrassed at all in comparison. I think the
ESS dac in the Kanns is excellent. It also drives the Audeze headphones very well.

Well, after a few weeks of reading about DAPs I’m none the wiser on whether it’s actually worth having one as I haven’t heard any. There are as many voices saying don’t due to the old hardware and software that becomes unsupported as there are enthusiasts who have a collection of them.

the ‘budget’ offerings from Fiio, Hiby and others up to £500 are still relative bricks with only a few hours of battery life practically and I don’t feel like taking a blind punt on them. The little Sony NW-A306 gets plenty of criticism over its low power output (except for Japanese market models, and then the -10db bass issue allegedly fixed after a long wait for the firmware update but possibly affecting sound quality as an unfortunate byproduct) but with supposedly very good battery life and looking truly pocketable I wanted to hear one. So I visited a Sony centre only to be told unsurprisingly no they were not on dem as the centres are franchised and you have to buy blind or buy online so you can return it if disappointed.

So I’m not sure when I’ll finally get to hear a DAP and see if there’s much of a difference over 320kbps mp3 files from a smartphone, maybe I’ll see a commuter on a train who will be kind enough to let me plug my earphones in for a quick listen. I didn’t think it would be this difficult but another example of the retail world having changed and the high street redundant I guess, ah well.

advertisement

Back