Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

AST Transformer Info?

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Mike Hanson, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Mike Hanson

Mike Hanson Lovely!

I’ve got a couple of potted AST transformers model #102055. The label on the side has lots of info about the winding voltages, perfectly suited to a Voyager amp:
    • P1/P2 = 120-0
    • S1 = 40-35-0-35-40
    • S2 = 42-0-42
    Unfortunately, there’s no indication of the VA rating. I done a Google search, but haven't found anything useful. Any thoughts?

2. Marra

Marra pfm Member

I imagine that LesW would be the man to ask Mike although I believe he recently had heart surgery so may not be available for a while.

3. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

Crikes, Hope he's OK!!!!

Mike:
    I would suggest weighing the transformer. 500VA is usually about 4 to 5Kg.

VA ratings are rather approximate anyway. If it weighs a few kilos it will power any NCC.

4. Mike Hanson

Mike Hanson Lovely!

From what I understand, Les has needed work on his valves for a while. He finally got fed up with the fatigue that comes with it, so decided to get'er done! :)

I called Avondale and spoke with Gavin. Yes, it's definitely a custom transformer that AST makes for them. It's not the typical one though (102050), so he's reaching out to the manufacturer to get more details. In the mean time, he guessed it was probably close to 350VA.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  5. Mike Hanson

Mike Hanson Lovely!

That was quick! Just got a message from Les, and it's 500VA.

Mynamemynaim likes this.
  6. a.palfreyman

a.palfreyman pfm Member

Les OK now?

7. Mike Hanson

Mike Hanson Lovely!

I believe he's in standby mode, waiting for them to perform the procedure, probably later this week.

In the meantime he's staying on top of emails, working on various designs, etc. :)

a.palfreyman likes this.