advertisement

Assembling Naim SBLs

onlyconnect

pfm Member
Finally got my SBLs assembled after a couple of years in boxes.

Have been using Ninkas pending finding time to work on the SBLs.

Fortunately I had some new gaskets which Naim sent me some 20 years ago, when they were free of charge.

However since I have no more gaskets after this I was keen to use a smear of Fairy Liquid.

Here we are after fitting the new gasket.

sbl.png

I have to say, I found the assembly much more difficult than before. I don't find it easy to get the nice even bead of sealant, and using the soap seems to make it more difficult. It took me several attempts to get a seal on one of the speakers. Got there in the end. I don't know if it is optimal but they do sound very good.

Interesting comparison with the Ninkas. I do like the Ninkas, they don't annoy me at all. However there is just a trace of bass bloat at times which *never* happens with the SBLs. On the other hand the Ninkas do go that bit deeper but I do prefer the SBLs overall. I love the tuneful bass and precise sound. And no, they do not sound remotely harsh.

Comment from Mr Vereker: https://community.naimaudio.com/t/naim-sbl-problem/3729/32

"Judging by the comments on the forum, I would suggest that at least 50% of SBL users or tryers are not listening to them at remotely their full potential."

Tim

Probably far less than 50% actually.

There are huge numbers of SBL's out there with iffy bass drivers which have been wrecked by overdriving and overheating.

The coil former distorts and rubs on the pole piece, or even worse you crease the cone by blowing it inside out.

I've recently bought (and been caught by) another pair which have fallen short of my expectations (goodish walnut cabs with knackered drivers).

No surprise they get fairly mixed reviews.

Could somebody (Falcon maybe) please come up with a Bass driver replacement or refurb service. There must be enough of them out there to justify it surely??

I think there's a major issue with people just not being prepared to admit that they're "farked" and selling them on to another disappointed buyer.

Now looking for a pair of lesser Naim speakers to act as donors.

They stopped being sold in 2001 so there will be plenty of knackered drivers around. Pretty sure mine are still ok

There are huge numbers of SBL's out there with iffy bass drivers which have been wrecked by overdriving and overheating.

The coil former distorts and rubs on the pole piece, or even worse you crease the cone by blowing it inside out.

Do you know whether this applies to both Mark 1 and Mark 2 drivers?

Never had a pair of MK1's with the original drivers so not able to comment about those directly, but given I've now had 2 pairs of "upgraded" Mk1's with new drivers I imagine the MK1 drivers are not indestructible.

The same driver went in Allaes and SL2's so it stayed in production until the Allae was discontinued, and possibly could still be made to order a fair while after that.

advertisement

Back