advertisement

Aspiring filmmaker seeks location. . .

palindrome

Thru a hedge, backwards and forwards.
Not sure whether this is the right room, or if it should be in the classifieds due to this request being a little unusual.

Some here may recall that a couple of years ago I mentioned that I write screenplays. Not many yet, and haven’t sold anything, but I have a few five minute shorts to get my narrative filmmaking aspirations rolling (excuse the pun). After more than a year of false starts and delays I’m now ready to shoot my first project, but finding an appropriate location is proving problematic.

Although a number of websites cater to the provision of locations to the industry, unfortunately I’m not an industry, nor can I afford their fees, usually many hundreds, or thousands of pounds for just a one day shoot. And as my project is a ‘no budget’ production, well. . .

What I’m seeking is an old and derelict cottage (or small outbuilding that could appear as though it was once lived in) that is in an obvious state of disrepair; maybe rubble strewn interior, bare or peeling walls, external door and window glass optional. However it does need a roof, even if full of holes (do I sound like an Estate Agent?). Preferably situated on its own in an isolated spot, it could also, for instance, be part of a farm complex if ‘seemingly’ 19th century(ish) and ‘apparently’ unmodernised.

I’m also looking for a view from the main/front door of this ‘long-abandoned homestead’ of open countryside, or arable farmland, or woodland. Any man-made elements will ruin the shots needed to suggest a bygone era of indeterminate geographic location, e.g., buildings, roads, pylons, industrial estates, wind turbines, etc’.

Something of a long shot (excuse the pun), I know, but this is a one man/one day shoot, no one else will be involved, and I am prepared to travel (I’m in Northamptonshire). Therefore, should anyone here know of an appropriate locale, and that the owners might consider the use of for such a low-key venture, I would be very grateful.

Cheers.

Kilmory Oib in Argyll, a ruined settlement set in a woodland near a loch with no other signs of modernity.

images

...no roofs but ticks your other boxes.

It might be worth checking out some urbex (urban exploring) websites. I used to be into urbex/photography.... well I still am but I no longer have the mobility required.

I know one or two such places in Lincolnshire, addresses via PM. You will have to do some exploring.
I know of a climbing hut in Wales (Caernarfon area) that works too. PM for details.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Wasn't sure whether this request would be too 'out there'.

Anyway, some good ideas I hadn't thought of, or even knew about.

Kilmori Oib, unfortunately the roof is necessary for the story to work. But it does look spectacular (and thanks for putting up the photo, Kendo).

Unfortunately the Bothy idea won't work because I'd have to assume other people would turn up and quite rightly wish to utilise it, creating a few issues, for them and me.

Crackpot Hall looks great, but is something of a long shot, in a number of ways, but nevertheless a possibility.

Started checking out a few urbex websites; will see if anything crops up there.

The 'Spanish shack'? Now, when I said I was prepared to travel. . . :D And I rather suspect the owner of said 'shack' might just take exception if I were to ask if he would be so kind as to trash his home for the sake of a five minute short. :p

Going to PM Stevec67 for more details of those Lincolnshire suggestions. I must admit, finding something closer to home has a certain appeal. We'll see.

Anyway, once again, I really appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.

It's definitely not too 'out there' for me, I'd be very interested to see your projects as they materialise. Best of luck with your work. I'd advise against messaging people on the urbex sites regarding access as they don't like it, the stock answer tends to be "do your own recce/homework" since the majority of urbexers do their own recce before exploring a location and also there is a strict etiquette regarding sharing access details. It certainly goes against urbex etiquette to break into or damage any location so they are very protective.

Hi linnfo,

Thanks for the heads-up on urbex protocols. Still, I'll continue to peruse some of their 'finds' as it may be helpful in providing alternative ideas.

And thanks for your interest in my projects. If I manage to film this the way I intend, and if I feel the production values are up to standard (bearing in mind this is my first shoot!) the intention is to submit to film festivals. But this would be after several months of post-production, which is the consequence of having to do everything oneself. There are, of course, numerous disciplines that I have been researching and trying to grok over the course of the last two years. Now it's time to put some of that 'grok' into practice. :eek:

I'll keep you posted, and anyone else that is interested, as and when I have anything solid to report.

Cheers.

It is said that once you have chosen your main location for a film all the other locations will be found within 50 miles. So I suggest you scour your neighbourhood first before expending money on fuel travelling great distances.

You’re right. That’s precisely what I’ve been doing. It could be argued I live in a county that must have a wealth of such locations, old derelict stone-built dwellings that have stood empty for many years, still to be demolished or restored. (Although the dwelling I’m seeking could also be of brick or wood construction.) But I don’t know where they are and/or who to contact regarding their specific locations. I’ve been driving deserted county lanes and through backwater villages, networking friends and work colleagues, but to no avail.

The upside is that I only need the one building/location. Maybe I’ll get lucky and something around my neighbourhood will appear on my radar, but what are the odds?

Travelling to Scotland or Wales is a bit of an expensive stretch, and I’m really hoping to find something that won’t take the wind out of my sails before I get there. Especially as I need to shoot this piece in the rain, preferably a thunder storm. Did I mention that?

Anybody have Thor’s email address?

advertisement

Back