advertisement

Asimov’s foundation.

2001 must have been a challenge to film with only real actors, sets and models. CGI is a cheap option.
RWR is short of explosions, but plenty happens and would perhaps have been a good 3D movie when they were a thing.
It is the long novels like Foundation that don't go to film well, too much explanation.

Another pair of writers I enjoyed were Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, particularly Lucifer's Hammer (which had me running to my 8th grade science teacher asking her how to convert ergs to megatons) and The Mote In God's Eye along with the sequel, The Gripping Hand.

GP Hulls, Ringworld, etc. Puppeteers, Kzin, etc. Shame ringworlds aren't stable.

2001 must have been a challenge to film with only real actors, sets and models. CGI is a cheap option.
RWR is short of explosions, but plenty happens and would perhaps have been a good 3D movie when they were a thing.
It is the long novels like Foundation that don't go to film well, too much explanation.

I'm now wondering what a film of EON by Greg Bear might take! But for 'action' I suspect Drake's 'Harrington' series would be a real challenge for film/TV to get anywhere close to what we can imagine when reading the books.

It cost MGM an absolute fortune. Some of the shots have something like 20 overlays. In comparison, when Star Wars came 10 years later, CGI, pioneered by Lucas's ILM, allowed the film to be made at a fraction of 2001's price.

That keeps getting said but I dont entirely agree. Some things were excellent - the still suits, the guild navigator, the guild highliner, the personal shields. Loved all that stuff.
The last Dune book (Chapter House Dune - and I did look that up!) was written after the film, and the descriptions of the navigator in particular was exactly as portrayed in the David Lynch film.

I saw the film in the cinema, but was a little too young to get it, but I loved the whole feel of it. When I saw it on home video a few years later, I thought it was pretty good, if confusing. The problems with the film are the messy story, which is really down to David Lynch - it was he who wrote the screenplay. Ridley Scott had been picked to direct the film, but after his brother’s death felt he couldn’t devote the necessary two years of production to it, so producer Rafaella di Laurentiis persuaded David Lynch to do this film instead of Return of the Jedi (I am not making that up - Lynch seriously was in contention to direct RoTJ). One of Lynch’s conditions was that he would only film his own script, so he wrote a new story, based only on a synopsis of the novel (which he had never read).

The production-design of this film is what really stands out, and because so much of it was in costume and set-dressing, it still stands up to the test of time - especially the scenes around the Galactic Emperor that looked every inch as stupendously rich as that job title would suggest. (Bob Ringwood, costume designer on Dune, is probably better known for Tim Burton’s Batman)

One odd bit of trivia about Dune - those “personal shields” were drawn by a computer, although traditional animators positioned the wireframes, and so by some measures this was the first ever computer-generated 3D representation of a human form on film.

It cost MGM an absolute fortune. Some of the shots have something like 20 overlays. In comparison, when Star Wars came 10 years later, CGI, pioneered by Lucas's ILM, allowed the film to be made at a fraction of 2001's price.
I think there’s only one computer-generated image in Star Wars: the large tactical projection-screen on the bridge of the Death Star showing its target moon coming into view from behind a wireframe planet. Everything else was done with stop-motion or traditional animation.

Where computers helped Star Wars was in motion control: the ability to re-shoot the exact same camera movements over and over again, allowing a mask (a negative image that leaves the area of the model unexposed when layered with the background) to be accurately filmed separately from the positive image: this allowed the complex spacecraft battle sequences where the models move independently of the others.

The technique was already well known, and had a name: travelling matte* compositing, but the difficulty in matching matte and object shots made it impractical except for black backgrounds or very simple tracking shots that could be done with a dolly. It was the ability of the computers to reliably repeat the more complex, whirling dogfight shots that made Star Wars’s visual effects so impressive.

(* later immortalised by a character “Uncle Travelling Matt” in Jim Henson’s Fraggle Rock, whose sequences were produced using the same technique)

I read a while ago that Amazon were planning to film Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks.
Now that would be a blast. Ship-minds, plenty of action, set pieces and big bangs..:D

The last Dune book (Chapter House Dune - and I did look that up!) was written after the film, and the descriptions of the navigator in particular was exactly as portrayed in the David Lynch film.

I saw the film in the cinema, but was a little too young to get it, but I loved the whole feel of it. When I saw it on home video a few years later, I thought it was pretty good, if confusing. The problems with the film are the messy story, which is really down to David Lynch - it was he who wrote the screenplay. Ridley Scott had been picked to direct the film, but after his brother’s death felt he couldn’t devote the necessary two years of production to it, so producer Rafaella di Laurentiis persuaded David Lynch to do this film instead of Return of the Jedi (I am not making that up - Lynch seriously was in contention to direct RoTJ). One of Lynch’s conditions was that he would only film his own script, so he wrote a new story, based only on a synopsis of the novel (which he had never read).

The production-design of this film is what really stands out, and because so much of it was in costume and set-dressing, it still stands up to the test of time - especially the scenes around the Galactic Emperor that looked every inch as stupendously rich as that job title would suggest. (Bob Ringwood, costume designer on Dune, is probably better known for Tim Burton’s Batman)

One odd bit of trivia about Dune - those “personal shields” were drawn by a computer, although traditional animators positioned the wireframes, and so by some measures this was the first ever computer-generated 3D representation of a human form on film.

I think there’s only one computer-generated image in Star Wars: the large tactical projection-screen on the bridge of the Death Star showing its target moon coming into view from behind a wireframe planet. Everything else was done with stop-motion or traditional animation.

Where computers helped Star Wars was in motion control: the ability to re-shoot the exact same camera movements over and over again, allowing a mask (a negative image that leaves the area of the model unexposed when layered with the background) to be accurately filmed separately from the positive image: this allowed the complex spacecraft battle sequences where the models move independently of the others.

The technique was already well known, and had a name: travelling matte* compositing, but the difficulty in matching matte and object shots made it impractical except for black backgrounds or very simple tracking shots that could be done with a dolly. It was the ability of the computers to reliably repeat the more complex, whirling dogfight shots that made Star Wars’s visual effects so impressive.

(* later immortalised by a character “Uncle Travelling Matt” in Jim Henson’s Fraggle Rock, whose sequences were produced using the same technique)

Thanks for that Kris.... I remember that Frank Herbert was very taken with the film's realisation of the Guild Navigator and asked for images and a scale model to be provided for him. I feely admit that the film is a strange creation..... But it has a clear identity too which i really appreciate.
PS. Chapter House Dune was my favourite of the series along with God Emperor. Sometimes you read something and realise that your imagination is pale shadow of someone elses......

The only CGI in the original Star Wars Episode 4, is when R2D2 gets plugged in to the computer and a wire frame schematic of the Death Star is shown (and later shown during the tactical briefing to the rebel pilots). God I’m such a nerd.

Dune is a visual feast and a gloriously camp riot of overacting, and Zoolander poses,fun if smashed. Like to see it at a cinema, love lynch my kind of weirdo.

Forbidden planet is still my all time fave sf film, as a teen it sent my imagination to places that enriched my mind.
You can thank Will Shakespear for that one - in no small it's The Tempest, loosely re-framed by two excellent scriptwriters, and splendidly played ensemble. Also where Dan D'agostino nicked the name 'Krell' for his amplifier products from ..and the shape of the meters ...you'll understand, since you've seen it : )

One of my faves, too.

I read a while ago that Amazon were planning to film Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks.
Now that would be a blast. Ship-minds, plenty of action, set pieces and big bangs..:D

I would be very excited by any Culture book being filmed but terrified at the same time to see someone else's vision of ships, drones and the whole Culture universe.

Has anyone tried filming Ian Banks, surely ‘the wasp factory’ would ,could be ultra creepy

BBC did an excellent adaptation of The Crow Road, 25 yrs ago now! More recently they did Stonemouth but it wasn't very good. But then neither is the book. Ian Banks's non-SF works went downhill after the 90s IMO.

Agree, wasp factory was a student/goth fave when I was at uni. After bridge not impressed with output.

Another pair of writers I enjoyed were Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, particularly Lucifer's Hammer (which had me running to my 8th grade science teacher asking her how to convert ergs to megatons) and The Mote In God's Eye along with the sequel, The Gripping Hand.

"Lucifer's Hammer" and "Footfall" seemed to me to be almost exactly the same book. And with Pournelle you know it's gonna be right wing propaganda. "Oath of Fealty" certainly was.

I'll take Niven's solo albums over that any day, the Known Universe stuff is fun.

advertisement

Back