Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Asimov’s foundation.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Frizzy, Sep 25, 2021.

1. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Just a bit.... the Lensman books have a strong whiff of Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon about them. Gel-O monster aliens, women in skin tight space suits constantly having to be rescued by square-jawed Conway Costigan.... and a fair bit of Eugenics too.

Wolfmancatsup, Snufkin and Darren like this.
  2. Darren

Darren All Business

Actually..... When you put it like that..... Somethings never age..... Gray Lensman was my favourite.... Worth reading again.... If you've got enough jets for it.

3. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Reviews I've seen so far have positively gushed. I've seen comments like "...the ideal combination of art house and Hollywood blockbuster..."

I remain skeptical, but we'll see.

4. Frizzy

Frizzy Liberal anarchist

Re Asimov, personally think his style very dry, doesn’t do emotional stuff too well but he was a ideas guy, at his best on short stories.

Cav and Wolfmancatsup like this.
  5. MarkW

MarkW Full Speed & Pagan

I'd agree largely with that. As the man himself would admit, he wrote a lot of books on the basis some at least would be good. I never clicked with the Foundation books, found them rather dull. The robot stuff was better and, as a standalone novel, The Gods Themselves stands above almost all his other fiction and well worth a read. Still stylistically dry though.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  6. garyi

garyi leave blank

The new dune is a two parter which is a tadge annoying

Darren likes this.
  7. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

I agree, and that’s how I found Arthur C. Clarke’s work to be too.

Mick

PS Cool profile pic!

Frizzy likes this.
  8. Frizzy

Frizzy Liberal anarchist

I was obsessed with Stan Laurel as a child, used to glue myself to tv in early seventies when Saturday morning was showing early films, Harold Lloyd , buster keaton etc.

Darren and Wolfmancatsup like this.
  9. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Speaking of Clarke, did anyone see the TV adaptation of "Childhood's End". It's rental on Amazon prime so not sure I want to pay for it!

I read the book when I was a teen,.found it quite interesting then. Not sure what I'd think now.

10. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

I would like to see Rendezvous with Rama made into a film, a much better fit into cimema

jonesi and CTank like this.
  11. Frizzy

Frizzy Liberal anarchist

We may get lucky, Asimovs ideas plus a talented script writer and apples unlimited pockets.
    Maybe someone will have a pop at Julian May or Steven Donaldson, loved white gold wielder series.
    Recent years I’ve found South Korea and Japan make the most interesting s\f and horror, and at best manga is soooo cool, Akira is the citizen Kane of adult animation.

denni55 and Ben&Ted like this.
  12. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

Likewise, but I thought the premise was OK, just the characters were cardboard cutouts. No depth to them, in that way similar to the Lensman series.
    BTW, it's hard to type with a kitten on the keyboard. :)

13. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

have red the entire Foundation series, just once and no urge to re-read

14. narabdela

narabdela who?

Indeed, but it would require some serious CGI. Megabucks needed if you don't want it to look cheesy.

15. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Interstellar had the hollowed out asteroid, so nothing not already done, even back in Babylon 5 times

16. Barry123

Barry123 pfm Member

Enjoyed the first episode

17. iansr

iansr pfm Member

I think that’s a positive sign, impossible to do the book justice in say 2 hrs.

Martian Sunrise and Jezzer like this.
  18. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

I read the initial Foundation books c50 years ago. Enjoyed them at the time. But these days I'm more likely to re-read something like David Weber's 'Harrington' series. :-> I still do dig out old stuff, though. From the 'Sector General' series to stories by authors like Sheffield or Simak or Clement or Schmitz or... Lots of variety.

19. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

Eon by Greg Bear comes to mind. But hollow asteroids is a pretty old device. Didn't Bester also use that?

20. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

I first read Dune in ASF from when they were trying to be a glossy magazine. Enjoyed it, but later re-readings, and the sequels I've tended to find less enjoyable. Too overblown and expanded. The film was rubbish in my view.

Darren likes this.