advertisement

Asimov’s foundation.

Frizzy

Liberal anarchist
Just seen apple are releasing a big budget version of ‘foundation’ a series of books I loved as a teenager, means one more subscription but no way I’m going to miss this one. I’ve never seen a single second of game of thrones so determined to complete one box set.
I think Asimov greatly affected my humanist beliefs and is a giant in modern literature who rivals Tolstoy and dickens in his ability to traduce religion and morality.

Our film director was meant to be in this but when he got to Berlin he was dropped and paid off, he’s not got over the pretty common bad experience tbh

Not really a big tv watcher, but foundation is my lord of the rings, read when 12+ and blew my tiny mind.

I read the books back when I was a lad of fourteen or so. Not sure what I'd make of them now, but film/TV adaptations are usually a let-down.

Just hope it doesn’t end up being a mess like David lynches ‘dune’.
The initial trilogy is where the real meat is, second three ok but plot thin, seven was a huge disappointment.
I hear the next version of dune might be good?

Just hope it doesn’t end up being a mess like David lynches ‘dune’.
The initial trilogy is where the real meat is, second three ok but plot thin, seven was a huge disappointment.
I hear the next version of dune might be good?
I enjoyed the Dune film and I'm looking forwards to the new one. However..... I do think that works of this scope ( I'm thinking of both the Dune and Foundation series) extending over thousands of years are impossible to capture on film without an extraordinary budget and perhaps, even then, a lot to take in and understand for viewers. How many would understand the God Emperor and his constant supply of Duncan Idaho Gholas for a start?

I seem to remember reading the Trilogy as a teenager and enjoying them. Re read them in the last couple of years with my Book group and found them a bit naff.
Like EE 'Doc' Smith's Lensman series they are now old enough that their use of language and social interactions make them dated and a bit quaint

In my teenage years I read almost exclusively science fiction. Loved very much of Asimov's output but Foundation was literally unbelievable nonsense.

In my teenage years I read almost exclusively science fiction. Loved very much of Asimov's output but Foundation was literally unbelievable nonsense.
Yea.... I too struggled with Foundation as a teenager. But I Robot, The Rest of the Robots, The Caves of Steel etc were excellent.

I too read them as a teenager. I’ve been reading SF novels since I was about 11 and I still enjoy the good stuff 55 years on. ERB’s Martian series had the biggest impact on me, particularly the first 3 which are essentially a trilogy. Those books have probably inspired more SF writers than any others and there are Barsoomian references and tips of the hat littered throughout the entire genre.

advertisement

Back