advertisement

Artists with long run (back to back) of high quality albums

Nah, bollocks, both are way too patchy to be called high quality albums. Good.. but overall not good enough. That doesn't stop REM being called a great band.
Edit: Eponymous is a compilation so doesn't count according to my rules.
I didn't include eponymous in the first run, but you are right on that front. Green is an absolute classic, they didn't make a bad record on IRS & they sounded like no one else in the context of the time. New Adventures.. I do really like, not sure it hangs together as whole, certainly their best from the later period.

How about an extra half-point for “Chronic Town”?
I have Chronic Town, it is rather good, I suppose it is classed as an EP. Regardless of whether each Album is considered great or not I still think it is the finest run in popular music, certainly in the last 30 odd years

The Trashcan Sinatras over their 30 years

Cake
I've Seen Everything
A Happy Pocket

Then 8 years until

Weightlifting
In The Music
Wild Pendulum

Yep, all of them

Soundgarden; Louder Than Love, Badmotorfinger, Superunknown, Down On The Upside:

Steve Hillage; Fish Rising, L, Motivation Radio, Green:

Wedding Present-Tommy,George Best,Bizarro,Sea Monsters.......all magic!

The Smiths run of albums first to last was pretty strong too.

As someone else mentioned: Neil Young,forget high quality,every album from Everybody Knows to Zuma is at least a near masterpiece, can't think of a better sustained run of excellence by anyone.

Apart from Van the Man, the most consistent run of albums that I'm always in the mood for is from Tony Joe White. People call it swamp rock, dunno about that, but the way the guitars buzz in and out of the speakers is mesmerising. He made 16 albums and apart from the live ones they are all great. Try any track from The Shine, Voodoo or Rain Crow and there's no way back.

Last edited:
Always got narked seeing his albums when I was flicking through looking for Andy White

Swamp rock eh? Guess I owe him a listen

*edit - sodding iPad autocorrect ducks me off

well i wouldn't call their run exactly 'long' but maybe compared to others but wanted to give kudos to 999 (who i liked more in my youth) for being consistently great - or at least having always improved over their career

Not a stronger contender IMO

The Bends (1995)
OK Computer (1997)
Kid A (2000)
Amnesiac (2001)
Hail to the Thief (2003)
In Rainbows (2007)
The King of Limbs (2011)
A Moon Shaped Pool (2016)

Pablo Honey is OK but not really what they have become so I started with The Bends.

Not a stronger contender IMO

The Bends (1995)
OK Computer (1997)
Kid A (2000)
Amnesiac (2001)
Hail to the Thief (2003)
In Rainbows (2007)
The King of Limbs (2011)
A Moon Shaped Pool (2016)

Pablo Honey is OK but not really what they have become so I started with The Bends.
REM's is longer & stronger. I have all of the above but none have grabbed me as much as the Bends & OK Computer, the latter is a true contender for all-time greatness.

I don't think I've listened to an REM album for 20 years or more, no desire to do so either. Just another pointless subjective music thread really.

As someone else mentioned: Neil Young,forget high quality,every album from Everybody Knows to Zuma is at least a near masterpiece, can't think of a better sustained run of excellence by anyone.

I'd put it "Everybody Knows" through "Hawks & Doves".

advertisement

Back