advertisement

Artists with long run (back to back) of high quality albums

How about the band that opened my eyes (ears) to jazz/rock: Brand X??

Unorthodox Behaviour,
Moroccan Roll,
Masques,
Livestock,
Product and
Do They Hurt?

Awesome!

How about the band that opened my eyes (ears) to jazz/rock: Brand X??

Unorthodox Behaviour,
Moroccan Roll,
Masques,
Livestock,
Product and
Do They Hurt?

Awesome!
Good shout!
Strangely enough I was listening to Moroccan Roll yesterday evening - excellent album.

Come on Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
Doolittle
Bossanova
Trompe le Monde

And one could add Pod, Last Splash /Frank Black, Teenager of the Year to the list. What a roll.

.sjb

Cult of Ray, Catholics, Pistolero, and Dog in the Sand are all excellent too, but after that maybe the quality drops off a bit. Or, like Ryan Adams, he just decided to record and release every musical thought that popped into his head. His later career would have been better with some editing/culling.

Placebo.

Placebo
Without You I'm Nothing
Black Market Music
Sleeping With Ghosts
Mets
Battle For the Sun
Loud LIke Love

Not a duff one there.

Also best ever cover version of a Kate Bush song for 'Running Up That Hill'

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds;
Planxty;
The Bothy Band;
Christy Moore;
Danu;
Altan;
Dubliners;
Oysterband;
Morphine.....

and so on.

REM:
Murmer
Reckoning
Fables of the reconstruction
Life's Rich Pageant
Document
Green
Out of Time
Automatic for the People

I struggle to think of any band that went on a longer run of greatness. They also hit intermittent highs after this with 'New Adventures in Hifi' as an example.

Steely Dan, I don't need to list them do I?

Last edited:
What about their first album which was their best in my opinion.

"Hurry on sundown" :) Many many happy memories... the miracle being that I remember any of them:D:cool::rolleyes: That could go for a lot of Hawkwind's material actually... and Here and Now... and Ozric Tentacles....

I used to live a few km from the Reading Rock Festival site and listening to Hawkwind through the open windows was an annual treat.

REM:
Murmer
Reckoning
Fables of the reconstruction
Life's Rich Pageant
Document
Green
Out of Time
Automatic for the People

I struggle to think of any band that went on a longer run of greatness. They also hit intermittent highs after this with 'New Adventures in Hifi' as an example.

Steely Dan, I don't need to list them do I?
Murmur - yes
Reckoning - no
Fables of the reconstruction - no
Life's Rich Pageant - yes
Document - possibly
Green - no
Out of Time - yes
Automatic for the people - possibly

So, at best a run of two, and maybe a four out of five, sorry. And New Adventures In HiFi would be their best in my view.

Murmur - yes
Reckoning - no
Fables of the reconstruction - no
Life's Rich Pageant - yes
Document - possibly
Green - no
Out of Time - yes
Automatic for the people - possibly

So, at best a run of two, and maybe a four out of five, sorry. And New Adventures In HiFi would be their best in my view.
Utter nonsense, sorry, Green & Document are definite. The only one out of the list that I would give a possible pass to is Fables but it has 'can't get there from here' so it gets a bye. Dead Letter Office is also great & Eponymous.

Utter nonsense, sorry, Green & Document are definite. The only one out of the list that I would give a possible pass to is Fables but it has 'can't get there from here' so it gets a bye. Dead Letter Office is also great & Eponymous.
Nah, bollocks, both are way too patchy to be called high quality albums. Good.. but overall not good enough. That doesn't stop REM being called a great band.
Edit: Eponymous is a compilation so doesn't count according to my rules.

advertisement

Back