advertisement

Artists that were great, now awful

Yes, mainly because he did. There was a fuss about it at the time.
And then he returned it. And it was an MBE which is the lowest of the gongs. Anyway, my opinion is, which I think I'm allowed, that I would have preferred McCartney to turn it down.

Red Hot Chili Peppers. Since their high point with BloodSugarSexMagic they've been unremittingly awful.

I doubt anyone would like yours.

If Macca was playing in our garden I wouldn't watch him. He's awful and he's and ar$e licker.

He's responsible for some of the 20th centuries most loved, greatest and most innovative music - and don't say Lennon did it all - if you read authoritative essays on the Beatles output, for example Revolution in the Head, it's clear who wrote what and that material was jointly credited Lennon/McCartney because as youngsters they'd made that pact about future attribution.

Along with George Martin he set up LIPA too, which I call putting your money where your mouth is. He's also over the years bailed out LIPA financially as it runs at a loss.

Accepting an honour is a personal decision - as a young guy, had I done anything to merit one, I wouldn't have accepted. I still don't think I would, but now I would be thinking a bit harder about the ramifications and less of the gut reaction of no. As no doubt he did.

Nick Beggs. Started out with Kajagoogoo, more recently has been a regular member of Steven Wilson's backing band.

He is a top bassist!

His bass playing in Kajagoogoo was good but the one hit wonder band were not in my opinion.

advertisement

Back