advertisement

Arthur

Emma Tustin, the wicked step-mother had her brief complaining to the Court during the trial about her treatment from other prison inmates. Apparently, she has been threated and inmates have thrown salt at her (Arthur was force-fed salt by her and his Father). She obviously doesn't like it when such treatment is coming at her.
She's going to get a good deal of it over the next 29 years or so, so she'd better get used to it or learn how to stop it happening.

This really is appalling , How can any 2 people do this to a defenceless little boy
They both deserve eveything that happens to them in prison once the inmates find out who they are
I struggled to call them human beings , Out and out low life scum , Makes my blood boil.

It’ll cost millions over the years to keep them locked up (although fingers crossed they might not last too long inside). I’d rather see the funds spent on cancer treatments etc.

It’ll cost millions over the years to keep them locked up (although fingers crossed they might not last too long inside). I’d rather see the funds spent on cancer treatments etc.

If you are arguing to give the state the power to commit murder then that never ends well. It can be seen as the point where civilisation ends. A Taliban-grade culture. Life in prison is the correct response.

If you are arguing to give the state the power to commit murder then that never ends well. It can be seen as the point where civilisation ends. A Taliban-grade culture. Life in prison is the correct response.

I’d make an exception for this pair.

I’d make an exception for this pair.

I won’t. As soon as you give a state the legal power to murder it is a short jump to killing any marginalised group they choose. See a disproportionate number of black folk in America, LGBT folk in the middle east, political opposition in Russia, China etc. I’d not trust our shower to accurately tell me what day it was let alone give them the power of life and death. Screw that. Jurys are hardly infallible too, look at the endless number of political prisoners (alleged IRA etc) who have later been released because the “evidence” was clearly bent. I’d far prefer to pay a bit more in tax to keep shit like these two alive in jail rather than descend even further into state authoritarianism.

More than most people earn before tax. Into the millions when you consider the sentences and inflation. I can think of far better uses for the funds.

Honestly my first thought on reading what they'd done was that they should be thrown down a well. No one would shed any tears.

But I'm very glad I live in a country without the death penalty. I'm not sure incarceration representing poor value for money is sufficient reason to reintroduce it.

More than most people earn before tax. Into the millions when you consider the sentences and inflation. I can think of far better uses for the funds.
How much would a sentence have to cost, potentially, before you decided that a death sentence was good value and would that apply to murder only or to any long sentence crime?

What Priti wants and what she gets are some way apart thank heavens. It really got my goat that government employees get free lessons to play on jet skis because of her mob-pleasing initiatives that were always going to be still-born. Victor Meldrew had a point !

How much would a sentence have to cost, potentially, before you decided that a death sentence was good value and would that apply to murder only or to any long sentence crime?

Anyone who uses Alan Barstard as their avatar should not be taken seriously :) It’s odd how many of these contrarians never post anything about Hifi… They add to the colour of the forum as long as you see them for what they are IMHO.

This ^

There's a video online of him. I won't watch it.

So many red flags with the step mother.

So many relatives raised concerns. No one listened.

Every picture I've seen of poor Arthur, is of a child that has the most beautiful smile.

RIP little man.
I thought “lessons were learned” in the Baby P case (I studied his case as part of a safeguarding course when I was training as a SEN support teacher, deeply traumatic), well I thought they were until I had a bit of first had experience. What I can say, is I’m not overly surprised things get missed, I personally raised genuine concerns a couple of times over a child’s safety, first time it was looked into, social services had some involvement and things improved… in the second case, there were minimal checks and basically little to no action, and when the child was still coming to school hungry, in dirty, under sized and work out clothing/shoes, and was still shy and withdrawn, and smelling of cannabis, I raised concerns again, and was advised to “not keep making a fuss” because “the relevant authorities are aware and keeping tabs”… so a child was living in an unhealthy and toxic environment, being neglected… but not quite neglected enough to take action against the parents and move the child into a clean, safe, healthy environment… suffice to say, it affected me badly, it’s really not uncommon at all, thousands of children live in similar conditions in the UK, and the care system isn’t equipped to deal with it. Things need to change, because this will keep on happening if they don’t.

Judge's sentencing remarks,

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/R-v-Tustin-and-Hughes-sentencing-031221-4.pdf

I can understand how a parent cannot cope, and even how at the end of their tether they hit a child in anger; but what I cannot comprehend is the complete detachment these two have. Both deliberately caused suffering beyond words to one child in the house while caring for others, and then just after Arthur’s death they thought they could talk their way out of it.

RIP Arthur.
It’s that uncommon for depraved monsters like this to victimise one child, particularly when that child is a stepchild, someone close to me suffered in this way until she was eight years old, at which point she was taken into care… then she was on her own aged 17, put into a flat in crime ridden high rise block. She’s now living in totally different circumstances, in a nice house with her partner and four very much loved children. Some of the stories from her past would make your toes curl though, they’re her stories and I would want to post any details without her express permission, but she does want to write a book on them herself. She still suffers with PTSD.

In the scheme of Govt. spending..it is peanuts. Please don't be drawn into this simplistic way of thinking.

In the scheme of Govt. spending..it is peanuts. Please don't be drawn into this simplistic way of thinking.
It’s this fixation on cost, rather than value. In this case, the value is that of living in a society which has decided it has put the death penalty beyond use.
The U.K. is already greatly damaged and our society and it’s values of decency and fairness are under threat as never before in my lifetime. Let’s not allow malign forces to take us further down a dark path by exploiting the completely understandable public revulsion at this tragedy.

I understand the arguments, however, when we see the most heinous crimes committed and it’s beyond any doubt whatsoever, I do feel there could be a case for it. Of course many will disagree and I totally understand why.

It’s been a decade of slashing budgets and cutting training for child services (I worked for twenty years in housing projects for teenagers leaving care)
You get what you pay for, tories want to dismantle the welfare state and continue the drift to privatisation. It started under Labour, Brown paved way for the charities being given responsibility for caring for the elderly (age concern heavily lobbied for right to cross line between charitable status and commercial interests) parole services collapsed, children’s homes have become pick up joints for local taxi drivers, (this was happening in the eighties) and old persons homes are being bankrupted daily.
People some how believe you can have low taxes and good services,I think the state of social chaos in USA makes a point loudly, everyone wants to have a Rolls Royce servce for mini money. Tories slashed and burned council services over last 11 years and national debt went up!!!!

Also there’s a culture that people are loathe to grass up neighbours or relatives, it’s not seen as positive to have social workers involved in any way in a families life.
More social workers are assaulted each year than either nurses or police; of which vast the majority are not reported as social workers feel beleaguered and unsupported. Kids can destroy careers and drive carers into situations where mental health is at risk.

Social workers, last people you call, first people you blame.

advertisement

Back