advertisement

Art Ensemble of Chicago, then what?

HansW

pfm Member
I have just been listening to a couple of my old Art Ensemble of Chicago records (Urban Bushmen, Complete Live in Japan). What great music!

Does anyone have any suggestions for newer music to that is as good and as exciting?

Have any of the members produced good stuff? I have a few Lester Bowie records thatare ok but lack the life, sparkle and imaginativeness of the ARt Ensemble.

Hans

Roscoe Mitchell's made lots of great records, it's well worth picking up any you see.

Check out records by Muhal Richard Abrams and Wadada Leo Smith too.

-- Ian

First a special mention for Henry Threadgill who has had a long and distinguished career. His Sextet(t) started out on the obscure About Time label and I'd single out Just The Facts And Pass The Bucket (1983) from this period. The three Novus albums which came later are all very good as well. His next band was Very Very Circus, try Too Much Sugar For A Dime (Axiom, 1993), very exciting indeed (but you have to like guitars). His most recent stuff has been with Make A Move eg Everybody's Mouth's A Book from 2001 on Pi.

Also from Chicago (the jazz town) Ernest Dawkins' New Horizons Ensemble lay down an irresistible blend of up-tempo rhythms and virtuosic soloing on albums like Mean Ameen (Delmark, 2004). Then there's the Vandermark Five, one of the many projects of reeds wizard Ken Vandermark - their latest double CD The Color Of Memory (Atavistic, 2004) is outstanding. Percussionist Kahil El'Zabar has worked in many contexts including the Ritual Trio and the Ethnic Heritage Ensemble - for sheer enjoyment I'd recommend Love Outside Of Dreams (Delmark, 1998) by his trio featuring David Murray.

Some more:

Leo Smith Golden Quartet The Year Of The Elephant (Pi, 2002)
Roy Campbell Ethnic Stew And Brew (Delmark, 2000)
Revolutionary Ensemble And Now... (Delmark, 2004)
William Parker/Little Huey Creative Music Orchestra Music For The Healing Of The World (Black Saint, 1998) - a great sprawling behemoth of a big band which I find utterly exhilarating when on top form (which is often)
Dennis Gonzalez' Spirit Meridian Idle Wild (Clean Feed 2004) - Gonzalez is a fine trumpet player from Texas, and Clean Feed is a WAY COOL new label out of Portugal

Finally, if you want to hear the Art Ensemble in cracking form but a slightly different (bluesy!) groove, try their double CDR Salutes The Chicago Blues Tradition, available direct from their website.

Jim

Thanks for your suggestions.

Sideshowbob, do you have any specific Roscoe Mitchell album suggestions?

Hans

Hans, if I could only have one, it would be this one. But his records are consistently good.

-- Ian

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back