advertisement

Art Dudley on blind 'tests'

Status
Not open for further replies.
. You need to address the actual point .Tests done in highly artificial circumstances may not read-over into more general situations. It's not exactly rocket science.
I'm afraid I did. Your logic was flawed.

Yes you are.

It's pointless arguing about this because you NEED people to believe Dacs make a difference to make a living and audiophiles NEED to believe that there is a sonic reason for their purchase.
I don't need to sell anything to make a living so your usual FOO argument is redundant on me

There's no more rigor to the standard Harman loudspeaker test than there would be to any unsighted bake off. The test has been taken by hundreds if not thousands of audiophiles, music lovers and journalists and the results have been consistent. Or are you now saying that these tests are flawed? In which case what is it that you know that Harman International and the AES don't?
You are joking, right?

I'm afraid I did. Your logic was flawed.

Really? The statement that tests done in artificial circumstances may not have wider applicability is flawed.... how? And what is the word 'logic' doing there?
Rhetoric is not logic, it's rhetoric.

DBO 4 or is it 3A(ST) maybe even 3B(JK) is about enjoyment, nuts or whatever and beer, wine, etc. It is Vitals home and environment. How he wishes to conduct it within the constraint of taking other attendees views into account. Different DACs to DBO 3. It isn't intended to be a scientific peer reviewed study subjected to the strong views of the rest of PFM.

I see posts which are loosing that plot.

I am also certain some will hear an amazing difference and some may minimise the significance of the difference. It is one thing to use kit that is chosen to detect difference and how the vast majority of lesser equipment behaves with these same DACs.

Want to try a £35 Maplins USB DAC Vital - well regarded by a number of PFM members?

Yea, I know it's a bit of fun - that's as it should be. But some people use these sessions for more than just fun

My suggestions came from an interest (& thought others might be too) in how such a blind listening session stands up to differentiating known audible but subtle differences?

But you label yourself as "trade"?

:confused:

As a matter of logic , the two are not mutually exclusive .

P.S - Can somebody please point me in the direction of were merlin or avole satisfactorily deal with the time/space limitations of hitherto undertaken DBT and the absurdity of making generalizations based upon them . ta .

ABX in this context would be blind, so you want blind tests to justify blind tests?

I know this subtlety escapes you & even posted it in my last post.

You fail to recognise that not all blind tests are equal - a typical oversight. Look at the equating of the Harmon tests to typical group sessions. And here again equating ABX to group listening sessions. It's a trick engaged in by those who aren't really interested in the actual test - just in the null results. As I said already calling something a sciency name doesn't make it science - but many try this tactic

An ABX positive results done by one person is not the same test environment as a blind listening group session. To ensure that no significant factor has been introduced that might now deliver false positives I suggested using these proven test files. Of course you could instead try to deflect attention away from such a simple test & continue to use rhetoric or as Steven says "stick to the script"

I don't need to sell anything to make a living so your usual FOO argument is redundant on me

Great. I guess you don't need a trade account then or to mention the JKDacs on the forum? Forgive my cynicism - I'm too old I guess.

You are joking, right?

No I'm not. You really should watch the first five minutes or so of this interview.

If anything, in the Harman lab, the "pressure" would be greater yet the results are consistent and have been for decades.

What IS different is the rigor with which Olive has logged and analyzed the results by listener category. The basic premise however of fast switching between test units, level matched in double blind fashion remains the same and is remarkably easy to achieve at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything from instant to five seconds depending on what you are testing for.

For the claimed tiny (night & day?) differences in Dacs, the shorter the better. Different studies have shown that increasing the inter track interval impairs listeners’ dis-
crimination of pitch, loudness, and timbre but it's hardly a chore to press skip on a transport and switch preamp input is it? Remember this is the INTER track interval - not the length of musical excerpt.

OK, I think it is safe to say that when it comes to ABX testing the only contentious issue stems from listeners having to decide an outcome in such a short period (2-3s) of time? Certainly even the staunchest of ABX detractors understand the requirement to level match and blind test any compared DUT's ..... though I do seriously wonder how many ensure that these two, basic, fundamental components are actually maintained!

If so, I wonder how many detractors have tried extending the time to whatever you wish and try the test this way?

Great. I guess you don't need a trade account then or to mention the JKDacs on the forum? Forgive my cynicism - I'm too old I guess.
Yes, I don't need to mention my products & JKDAC is a product from two generations ago which only proves that I don't mention them

No I'm not. You really should watch the first five minutes or so of this interview.

If anything, in the Harman lab, the "pressure" would be greater yet the results are consistent and have been for decades.

What IS different is the rigor with which Olive has logged and analyzed the results by listener category. The basic premise however of fast switching between test units, level matched in double blind fashion remains the same and is remarkably easy to achieve at home.

Watched it before & I don't like Olive's darting, shifting eyes - makes him look suspicious & a bit creepy - but maybe that's just me?

So did you miss the bit about using just one speaker in these speaker tests, did you miss the bit about using a panel which is filtered by age & hearing, did you miss the bit about trying to be as scientific as possible? Do you not know that they use a reference listening room designed according to recommendations contained in ITU standards, that they use a silent mechanical positioning system which ensures each speaker is positioned exactly in the same place, that they use listener training for their panel of listeners.

Do you miss the fact that what is being tested in Harmon are speakers where there is a universal acceptance that they will sound different. What is usually being listened to in group blind listening sessions are not the gross differences between speakers but the subtle differences between electronic devices

Are you really trying to equate Harmon's listening tests to home based group listening sessions?

That is just absurd .

thanks for that Merlin . You have done me and pfm a favor .

me because i will never ever argue with you again , the fact you advocate such a methodology for establishing difference means you are now the David Icke of PFM to me .

You have done pfm a favor cause this will mean there will be considerably less of my ego centric ramblings to read .

I wish you all the best in your crusade .

Anybody know what happened to david icke ?

I think I would trust Olive over you I'm afraid - but that's just me I guess.

As for the rest, you are just grasping at nettles again.

Download the AES Paper on how statistically all listening groups faired as well as how the speakers did and how those results corresponded with scientific principles.

It should put most of the rest of your missive to bed for those interested enough to read it. The important point is that the double blind test continues to produce reliable results yet the sighted one does not. Same room. Same listeners. Same products.

The listening room in inconsequential as all it does is establish a level playing field for the loudspeakers. It does not interfere. Are you now saying that the listening room acoustics will have an impact on which Dac someone prefers?

Or are you trying to say in a round about way that we accept that loudspeakers are different because they are. But Dacs might be? Very slightly? And only when you can see the brand name?

That is just absurd .

thanks for that Merlin . You have done me and pfm a favor .

me because i will never ever argue with you again , the fact you advocate such a methodology for establishing difference means you are now the David Icke of PFM to me .

You have done pfm a favor cause this will mean there will be considerably less of my ego centric ramblings to read .

I wish you all the best in your crusade .

Anybody know what happened to david icke ?

That is the point that emerges from those posters trying to argue the superiority of blind testing - they will accept any lax procedure as being valid as long as it excludes sightedness. They are blinded to (or simply choose to ignore) all other testing weaknesses. It would also seem that they are unwilling to include any controls in their "tests" as I have never seen any such controls used. This leads me to conclude that it's not an attempt to get to the truth of the matter - just an exercise in ensuring that null results are the outcome thus proving their world view

Watched it before & I don't like Olive's darting, shifting eyes - makes him look suspicious & a bit creepy - but maybe that's just me?

What's up with a certain bunch of people being more concerned about the messenger and the presentation rather than the message?

You might have a PhD in Sound Recording, you might be the president of AES, and you might be Director of Research at a major audio manufacturer, but if you missed your media training sessions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back