1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Art Blakey

Discussion in 'music' started by rod, Mar 3, 2007.

1. rod

rod beach bum

After noticing on the Kate Bush thread that Fopp do free postage above £25, I had a gander at their wares. There is a shedload of Art Blakey cds in the £5 category. It would be rude not to take advantage.

Now, I have Free For All (with the Jazz Messengers) and think this is a great album, so which others should I consider? Ssb's blanket "buy them all" catchphrase is out here. :)

2. concrete

concrete pfm Member

The only one I have is Moanin', and that's pretty amazing.

Not that helpful a comment I know, but it's definitely worth a fiver!

3. Unregistered

Unregistered pfm Member

Another shout for Moanin' (great trumpet work from Lee Morgan on this). Blakey's Messengers were an ever changing lineup, but Buhaina's Delight has an almost identical lineup to the Free For All LP that you like. Grab this for the double whammy of Blakey & Monk and At Night At Birdland shouldn't be left on the shelf.

Rich

4. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

I have a few. 'The Big Beat' is my favourite.

edit: Just put this on. 'Dat Dere' is one of the swingingest things.

5. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Moanin' is great!

6. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I'd add A Night In Tunisia to the list. Lee Morgan, Wayne Shorter, amazing title track - you can't go wrong.

Didn't realise Fopp had an interweb site... 800 odd jazz CDs in the fiver section :eek:

7. AlexG

AlexG ...

I've only got one, 'Like Someone In Love', which I like a lot.

Like paul and others I didn't realise Fopp had a site until recently and have been giving it some hammer ever since.

8. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Oh just buy them all... works for me.

9. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

A night at Birdland Vol 1 + 2 are very good too. I agree with Martin, I haven't heard anything with him as leader on Blue Note that's not worth getting.

10. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

There's a great album on Impulse! called Jazz Messengers, well worth getting.

11. Simon Dawson

Simon Dawson Angry, Ill & Ugly

Not sure if it's on CD but "Roots and Herbs" is also excellent, all Wayne Shorter compositions. Lee Morgan on trumpet again.

SImon