advertisement

Aro cable retermination?

JTC

PFM Villager...
Hi folks.

I'm considering buying a seperate offboard phono stage to use with my LP12, but my Aro cable is DIN terminated, so obviously I'd need to get it reterminated.

Has anyone tried reterminating Aro cable into Eichmann bullets, and how fiddly a job is it? Also, having never looked inside a bullet plug, is there plenty of connector to solder to, or is the available contact area quite small (as I suspect)?

I'm probably going to order Eichmanns as my experience with them thus far has been very good indeed (I had my dealer terminate some Chord SOlid 2 with a pair) but I don't really want to have to shift the Linn which would obviously be necessary if I were to get my dealer to do it...

jtc

I reterminated my Aro a while ago (BNC to Bullets). No real problem, I can't remember them being too fiddly.
One tip - keep a ~5mm section of the outer insulation, slit it and put around the cable where (the useless) grub screw on the back of the bullett tries to grip the cable - this gives it something to grab onto.

Simon

John,
I assume your Aro cable is rather BNC terminated.

Instead of changing the BNCs on the Aro cable, why don't consider changing the phono connectors on your phono stage to BNC sockets?
I don't want to avdvocate the Naim things, but BNCs sound better, and are cheaper (2 female BNC sockets should set you back of a few pounds!)

my 2 cents
Jean-Marc

I had a long discussion with the guys at my dealer about BNC vs Bullett for connecting Aro cable to TE phonostage (same as you John?). The consenus was that BNCs are better than most RCAs but the Bullets are the way to go. Also, I didn't like the idea of modifying the perspex case of the TE to take the BNCs.

Simon

Hi, a quick post before I read the rest in depth - just to confirm that my Aro arm-cable is *definitely* DIN terminated, as are all my cables which I use with my preamp (DNM).

However, I'm looking to an external Phono Stage and so RCA Phonos are the only option.

jtc

I agree with Jean-Marc, go for BNC's on your Aro cable, then terminate the inputs on whatever phono box you get with BNC's.

Wow, BNC's a re so good they use them on oscilliscopes. When you consider the super-small signal levels used there, and the coaxs to sheild said signals, looks to be a similar environment. Well, at least from the high-level view. I don't see tektronix going to RCA's, even with the advent of bullet plugs! :cool:

What about the obvious, prefix+hiCap into Nait?

Rico

advertisement

Back