Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Arm for LP12 project

Discussion in 'classic' started by vinyl_paul, Oct 17, 2020.

1. vinyl_paul

vinyl_paul pfm Member

A few months ago I bought my first LP12 from Tony.
    Need PSU (already working on that) and it needs an arm.

I have a TD-150 with an SME-3009 II imp on it, and I could try that on the LP12 but the prices are so silly I might just sell that!

If I sold the 3009 I was thinking of an RB250 or RB300 for the LP12. Any thoughts on that?
    Other similar suggestions welcome.
    I would like to try a Linn arm but they seem to go for silly money as well?

2. sktn77a

sktn77a pfm Member

Agree that while the SME arm on the LP12 was popular in the early-mid 1970s, it fell out of favour after that. The Rega arms are a good match, as are the black LVX/Basik arms and their variants (generally available for a decent price).

3. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

I think anything with a 'Linn' mount or a "Rega' mount would be worth investigating. SME arms caused issues with some plinths. Although, in the day, the Linn / Rega combo wasn't considered as 'compatible' I suspect that was marketing to disguise the fact that the RB300 did what the Ittok did at a lower price.
    So, if budget is important, an OEM Rega arm off eBay would do nicely. I fitted an Akai (RB250) to mine to sell the deck and was surprised how well it all worked. I used an Origin Live LP12/Rega armboard as it was the cheapest available at the time.

4. vinyl_paul

vinyl_paul pfm Member

Thanks Guys.
    Having done some more reading (and looked at the prices of an Ittok!) I think I will try for an RB300 or RB 250 to compare with the SME.
    Even that opens another can of worms.
    RB250 vs RB300 with and without OL upgrade - you can see why digital is so attractive :)

5. matt j

matt j pfm Member

If you can find a nice Mission 774 they go great on an LP12, in fact they go well on anything in my experience! Not a fan of any of the Rega arms but you might as well try one as they're easy to get hold of.

6. worz

worz pfm Member

If I had my time over again I'd have a rega 8 sitting here lovely deck

7. Fergus

Fergus pfm Member

If you were interested in a Linn Akito that’s had a bearing overhaul by Johnny at AO you could PM. And I also have both an RB250 or RB251, non fettled!

8. Colinb

Colinb pfm Member

A Nima works really well on an LP12. I went from full origin live upgraded RB300 to a Nima and it was a very worthwhile upgrade.