advertisement

Arlene Foster hanging by a thread.

Good news NI.is drowning in sh*t.

This seems true in another way. Napoleon's famous description of the diplomat, the Marquis de Talleyrand, was merde dans un bas de soie (sh*t in silk stockings). This would seem to fit the current Prime Monster and his relationship to Northern Ireland rather well.

I'd be astounded if the stockings were anything other than silk:
54992e4d-0002-0004-0000-000061284b55_w797_r1_fpx37.45_fpy49.94.jpg

Car park Belfast this morning.....
osSvbvS69_9x2vSt2YMofYQ0r04moh0bgpM1K2SBR0YYR3RRFpF3PeurS69ru60Pt2srNCp7r7u0StQoW7N_xSAnbEbMKkHyGzyJ1UTxL8QqcY354J4QU0Epz7-l-5rljH38SY4yNSnrl7N97Q6QYPGQB8p6VAYms-OHdJ7k_SX2A1z5EXq9VFu49SAusCoq6FQrY27enAdSwiA90ffLvpo0uLTexQliDnTPxSZNuDx3WnJGQWYOaJ4kaHsBUJWbYn-rH8NRRrzltNEYDxnVK3yDC7iBtbfcYvhLjhdosXTPOzc4AM02geUYv85Ab9mi4DStK7obvKGCcFRgK-x7RdB68MQ57DUBoCf0OiRfPBnM08RNhixs5XxpC2XrKuI4p56z_SNRFPQtc6C6WPmqhGl6q2i3RTpkNCGOGsezrziHxwZrMlgXA5hmDnhUx2jyHBcxRu8VE-o4K-ZV9-r8qF_Oz0_8DBjVKAC6t0r-gF7p1NR1fvFSAsPOqCyIZVatQ5uCLkzaZYCnpY2_wh_RwkEA0Fg8x656PqCgUkAL10DnZ2LFNeUfthg50n_GkLnQDvCJFMGc_6p85F0alMhjCaCLvUK43b_pAxYVcXT13uwSv2RroRp0swIzuuQmtvqjVrWLp3hfnu0_8gPVEa1nkdgpMWMQCLkkktcqcdO0I-O2o1DEhFYzmA5xYg4OsI7_CndmP52oWGT2d-Ie5WZJSjsk8w=w1311-h848-no

All this will be set alight in a week or so. Seems odd that this is permitted with business in the background and housing 2m behind where I was standing!

Car park Belfast this morning.....

All this will be set alight in a week or so. Seems odd that this is permitted with business in the background and housing 2m behind where I was standing!

This is nothing; The houses in Leopold Street off the Crumlin Road (it was before they built a wall across the end so that the "Catholic" Flax Street opposite could not invade, and vice versa) were once terrace house on both sides. This ended in a blank gable wall where Leopold Street met Ohio Street, and they used to build the Eleventh Night bonfire against the wall. In the days before pallets, it was all sorts of combustible rubbish. I think that house lost its street-facing windows on many years (they cracked with the heat).

P.S. Interesting to see how the Troubles have completely reshaped the area. Leopold Street used to extend all the way to St. Matthew's Church on the Shankill Road - now it stops at Ohio Street. The house where I grew up has long vanished away.

Off topic - but those big fkoff 11th night bonfires built from pallets certainly weren't around when I was a kid. They seem the norm up there now.

Anybody any idea when/where they first appeared ?

Off topic - but those big fkoff 11th night bonfires built from pallets certainly weren't around when I was a kid. They seem the norm up there now.

Anybody any idea when/where they first appeared ?
No idea, but it does allow them to be built a LOT bigger - I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my first one, and I found it difficult to believe that this thing could be legally set on fire.

Yeah they're fkn youuuge..
yH1ADmPh.png

I'm sure they contravene a wide range of 'Elf'nSafety issues, plus other environmental regs not to mention risk / damage to neighbouring properties - but y'know..'Tradition and Culture'. (Except Im not sure it ever was traditional to create industrial sized conflagrations like those things)

No idea, but it does allow them to be built a LOT bigger - I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my first one, and I found it difficult to believe that this thing could be legally set on fire.

yH1ADmPh.png

I'm sure they contravene a wide range of 'Elf'nSafety issues, plus other environmental regs not to mention risk / damage to neighbouring properties - but y'know..'Tradition and Culture'. (Except Im not sure it ever was traditional to create industrial sized conflagrations like those things)

They also get grants for their .....erm.....Kulture so they can build em!

yH1ADmPh.png

What's that 3/4 of the way up? A Catholic?

yH1ADmPh.png
This illustrates something important about why Belfast is the way it is.

You might not know this, but the blue and red pallets you can see there are stolen property - every last one of them. They belong to commercial pallet pool services, and are rented by freight companies to deliver goods to high-volume businesses like supermarkets. Each of the pallets costs around £15 to replace. These are not used or broken pallets: CHEP, the company that manages the blue pallet stock, takes in and recycles end-of-life pallets itself; they are never available as broken pallets.

So, have another look at that picture, and multiply each blue or red pallet you can see by £15 (let’s be very generous and assume the plain-wood ones were all donated, broken stock). The scale of the theft on show here tells you about how weakly the law is enforced in these sectarian neighbourhoods. Anywhere else in the UK, the supermarkets (who have to pay for lost pallets) would have had the police visit the site and those pallets would have been returned, and the kids given a caution. In Belfast, the prospect of getting on the wrong side of certain “community leaders” (i.e., the ones who used to shoot people’s knees off in back alleys) makes it less hassle to let them steal and burn two to five grand of your equipment than cause a fuss.

And you wonder why nobody wants to start a business in Northern Ireland...

What's that 3/4 of the way up? A Catholic?
Pretty much, yes. 12th July celebrates the victory of the Engl-ish king Willem Henrik van Oranje over the London-born invader James II at the Battle of the Boyne (in Co. Meath, now in the Republic; the filthy papist government has built a pretty good museum about it), so it used to be an effigy of James II on top. That, or whoever the current pope was.

These days, though, whoever the Loyalists have a beef with gets a spot on the pyre. Although no bonfire is big enough for that list these days...

^^^ I started a business in NI in 2006. Did very well....For one thing, the wages costs are much lower. It's not all bad.

...like the rest of the UK is squeaky clean :) :)

advertisement

Back