advertisement

Arkless

Felix

pfm Member
I know a million people have said this a million times. But I’m going to be 1,000,001
I’m sitting here listening to my same system but with a newly received arkless 640p swapped in.
I’m thrown. It is SO good.
Thanks Jez.

So what exactly does Jez call his heavily rebuilt 640p - is it just the ‘Arkless 640p’?

Mark,

I think he calls it the Jezomatic 2000.

It's unfortunate that the year 2000 has come and gone because it used to sound so futuristic, especially when you added it to the name of a product.

Joe

P.S. The Jezmotron 2000 was the runner-up name.

Nah, IIRC that's a uselessly-large measure of loudness, equal to c. a thousand Phons
- the old imperial measure, roughly equivalent to One Arkle ;)

So what exactly does Jez call his heavily rebuilt 640p - is it just the ‘Arkless 640p’?

Indeed it is.

Oh and just another reminder that it is A DIFFERENT DESIGN to the original unit. It reuses casework, sockets etc and also of course the power supply, which is in the actual phono stage, the wallwart is AC and just a transformer in a plastic case.
The original (and re-used) power supply is quite clever... it has two "mirror image" voltage doublers to give +24V and - 24V from 12V AC in (actually more like + & - 34V from about 17v AC in due to low transformer regulation) which then goes to a pair of voltage regulators to give regulated rails of + & - 18V which power the phono stage.

The Arkless 640P is still available and currently £225. MM/MC switch now standard and can be retro-fitted to earlier versions for £35.

I ceased offering the Turbo and Turbo+ versions some time ago.

advertisement

Back