advertisement

Arkless phono stage+Avondale 821a

Ernie CA

pfm Member
I Have been listening to Arkless Electronics 651p phono stage,fed into,
an Avondaled modded Naim 72 with Avondales 821a boards.

Imo the 651 is an exellent partner with the 821a boards.

This combination is a very large improvement over the 322 ,321. 729 boards

I would advise owners of 32.5 or 72 with 821 boards to give the modded
651 an audition asap ,they will be in for a big suprise with the sound quality.

For 821a owners info, Arkless have a loaner programe ,so you have nothing
to loose .

I'm doing the same except my Arkless modified phono is a 640P. The 72 with Avondale 821 boards seems to be a perfect match. Having just bought a new AT OC9 MLII I am very happy with the sound.

Looking forward to getting my 640p back from Jez to hook up to my Grad1/TPX2 combo!

I suspect that will be something of a mullet. The Arkless phono stage is very good, IME, but a better phono stage and cheaper preamp should outperform.

I suspect that will be something of a mullet. The Arkless phono stage is very good, IME, but a better phono stage and cheaper preamp should outperform.

Well it will be my very own experimental mullet!

I currently run a Whest Two with my Grad1/TPX2 and was interested in the reviews of Jez's unit so I thought "what the hell, give it a go". If I like the combo I can move the Whest On at a small profit, if I don't I can move the Arkless 640p on without much of a loss!

Having played around for a while with an Avondale modded 32.5 and Avondale and NJ board combinations I was pleased last year to have the opportunity to relieve DV of the Grad1 with TPX1 (p/x'd to TPX2) and ACD3. The Grad1 was very much a step up, I have been enjoying what the Grad1 can do and am not likely to move it on any time soon.

My vinyl front end is a Soled LP12, Lingo, Infinity Black Widow tonearm with Shure V15III cart and JICO SAS stylus (all set-up by Derek Jenkins). I'm happy with that too - I know, I know ignorance is bliss!

I will report further on my "mullet" in due course.

Cheers

Anthony

advertisement

Back