advertisement

Arkless modified Cambridge 640P: First Impressions

Did you really think a turbo was included?!

Please don't feed the animals even if you feel you really would like to. They have special needs and it is best to starve them.

Neither has a turntable or interest in the subject just the Phono stages manufacturer.

and trades descriptions act might have something to say about the turbo model. Where's the turbine ? "Special Edition" or similar would have been more accurate, turbo is just misleading unless it's supposed to be humorous.

I guess it was meant to be humorous- but you just aren't funny.

Jez, thanks, no it 's the other common mistake, I had it set to MC with my MM. B*****! I had read it had a high output, and a was convinced I had checked the switch position. These little rear panel switches keep catching me out! Seems to be working okay now so hopefully no long term effects. Would you have any concerns Jez?

It won't harm it in the slightest.

Just thought I would chip in with my opinion, as I currently have the original Arkless 651P (original as in 'not turbo or turbo+'). It's been a bit of a journey getting it set up (more on that in a sec) but having finally fixed a couple of issues, I can say that I am massively impressed and will be buying a 640P or 651P ASAP and will be getting it modded!

I have been comparing the 651P to an NJC Reference Series phono stage, with a couple of carts: an Ortofon 2M Blue and a Denon DL-110. Pretty much as soon as I switched to the Arkless I noticed what I can only describe as a feeling of increased separation between which gives everything I've thrown at it much better clarity. I've listened to jazz, rock, funk, soul, techno, dub... all I can say is I have never enjoyed listening to vinyl more than I have over the last couple of days. I am a very happy bunny indeed! In terms of sheer bang for your buck I struggle to imagine anything being better value for money :)

Huh, forgot to mention the issues I had (for what it's worth):

I initially heard a low 50Hz buzz which I didn't detect with the NJC. I assumed it was some sort of earthing problem and tried everything I could to get rid of it - no luck.

Then, out of the blue, my sub blew a fuse yesterday (at least, that's what I hope has happened). Later that day (once I'd unplugged and moved the sub), I switched back to the Arkless and - lo and behold - the buzz had vanished. Then the true sound of the Arkless was revealed (and I lived happily ever after).

I don't really understand what was going on, but right now I don't care!

I only wish they weren't so difficult to get hold of! I'm nearing 5 months into my wait for mine to be converted! I am sure it will sound fantastic when I get it though!

Richer are doing 20% off the 651P this Saturday as a 'Record Store Day' special.

If you aren't already a VIP member you may have to part with your email address to qualify. I bought a TV there 12 months ago and receive regular offer emails.
Jim

Richer are doing 20% off the 651P this Saturday as a 'Record Store Day' special.

If you aren't already a VIP member you may have to part with your email address to qualify. I bought a TV there 12 months ago and receive regular offer emails.
Jim

good tip! thanks

If anyone else is wanting to try the loaner basic version then let me know via PM as it's ready to move on from the last loanee.....

Jez, sorry for asking dumb question, but which models of cambridge do you modify?

The 640P and 651P. They are identical other than styling and an on/off switch on the 651P.

The loan unit is back on it's travels.....

Loved it, thanks, Jez and certainly would like one, and am saving my pension, but also want a new TT. But the kids keep asking for food and stuff. Something's gotta give.

Having done basic mods on my 551p (capacitors, op amps etc) it sounds so much better then the standard one. Would love to hear an Arkess 651p!

advertisement

Back