Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Arkless 640P "Dr T Mode"/current input version interest check

Discussion in 'audio' started by Arkless Electronics, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

It's a different amplifier. Simple as that. I can covert it to the GTI if you like but you lose the MM capability. The Arkless 640P Turbo+ was the ultimate expression of the MM and MC switchable version and a great phono stage in its own right. If I were you I'd be considering keeping this one as is and get another donor unit... unless of course you prefer to use your £430 (IIRC) model as a donor unit rather than get another for £40 - 90.

The link does explain the "Dr T" circuit. I hate using that term as it's merely a Dynavector marketing term for current input/transimpedance amplification but for the title of this thread I thought more people would have heard of the term than of the alternatives....

If you read through this thread from the beginning it has loads more detail about it and many reviews on it:)

Jo 90 likes this.
  2. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

Jez

Can you source donor 640P locally and ship the finished (GTI article) overseas?

3. Arkless Electronics

YOU can source one on UK ebay/whatever, and have it sent straight to me and I can then send it overseas on completion. I have one here for a customer in the West Atlantic colonies already.

joe9407 likes this.
  4. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

Hi Jez
    I picked up a Dynavector XX2Mk2 recently and it's just "singing" with the GTI Turbo. It's blown my (over 2K) other phono amp out the water!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Arkless Electronics likes this.
  5. Arkless Electronics

Thanks Mike:) It makes all the slaving over a hot soldering iron worth it when you get feedback like that:)

mikechadwick likes this.
  6. BB Wan

BB Wan pfm Member

Hi Jez,
    If the loan unit is still 'out and about' I'd like to try it please.
    Cheers.

7. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Just thought I’d bung a quick update to this thread. Received my GTI Turbo about a month ago. For various reasons, it didn’t get installed immediately but it’s been absolutely singing in my system lately. I’m using a VPI Prime Sig with a Hana ML and even my crusty old vinyl is fresh, vibrant, and full of colour and subtlety I’ve not heard before. There’s real energy, scale and body, but also a sense of structure (soundstage, timing, imaging) that I’ve not had from my vinyl before.

Thanks Jez, this is a keeper.

Rosewind, Tarzan, Vinny and 4 others like this.
  8. Arkless Electronics

Cheers for that Steve:) I was wondering how you were getting along with it just the other day...

9. Evo

Evo pfm Member

Hi Jez,
    Came across this thread for your phono. Happens ive been thinking of looking for a new phonostage recently. I currently have a DIY valve mm phono bought from here or AOS. Is your demo one still available and if so can I be added to the list please?

10. Arkless Electronics

You do know that the GTi is MC only?

Evo likes this.
  11. Evo

Evo pfm Member

No, but I currently use a mc cartridge, step up and mm phono so ideal really.

12. Arkless Electronics

OK then... I'll be sending the demo out again if there is enough interest in probably a couple of months time.

Vinny and Evo like this.
  13. Evo

Evo pfm Member

Jez, put me on the list. Feedback seems very good from those who have tried it.

gavreid and Arkless Electronics like this.
  14. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

It is a very, very, very good, chilled, involving stage, believe me. The music does just flow.

You will stuggle to get a more "comfortable" stage at any reasonable price, of that I am convinced.

Evo and Arkless Electronics like this.
  15. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

As a previous recepient of the stage and on the waiting list to have one built having heard it! Can I ask where you are with builds Jez? Are you still snowed under with work? I’d love to get mine to you in due course.. :cool:

16. Arkless Electronics

Still slowly working through all the second wave ones that people sent in after PM'ing to say "I know you said you would post when you are ready to take in another batch but can I get the guy I've just bought one off to post it straight to you?".... which became about another dozen! Obvs other work on top of that plus busy with a custom build and a new power amp design.
    Shouldn't be too long but I'll post when I'm ready to take some more in and send the demo unit out again:)

Rug Doc, Darren, joe9407 and 2 others like this.
  17. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

:oops: :D

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  18. Arkless Electronics

And yet another one arrived for the same reason on Wed!:rolleyes::)

19. Colin123

Colin123 pfm Member

I hope it's gone to the bottom of the pile. (-:

gavreid likes this.
  20. Darren

Darren All Business

Oh? Interested in this. Any details? Or even a rough outline of design objectives?