advertisement

ARISTON RD80

The RD80 was not a very good deck for a variety of reasons IMO, although it was popular at the time.

The main bearing wasn't always finished well and the quality of the steel used was suspect on all Aristons of this period , causing some to be chrome plated - fine until the chrome wore away at the contact point... The suspension of the RD80's I handled was awful, you set the thing up, move it or just tilt it and the suspension's off and needing re-alignment.

Forgive my negativity, but the TD160 Super was a better made and much more consistant turntable.

The top plate was too thin and flexed badly and then the black vinyl coating would lift. I made a new top plate for mine and fitted Linn bolts and early Linn springs. It was much better but I realised how far behind it was when I finally bought a Linn.

I think it depends on your priorities to some degree.

For example, the RD80 sounds less coloured that an LP12 - the old red button illuminated version since that is the fair comparison.

My memories of the RD80/Mission 774/773 are very good ones.
IIRC it was replaced with a Dunlop Systemdec/Syrinx PU2 Gold and that wasn't really any better despite being regarded as 'Linn class' at the time.

I have a RD80 and a LP12. There is a huge gulf between them. There is no aspect of performance where the Ariston gets anywhere near the Linn. At the time, a Rega 3 was the usual comparitor with the RD80 in reviews (and price), rather than the LP12.

I have a RD80 and a LP12. There is a huge gulf between them. There is no aspect of performance where the Ariston gets anywhere near the Linn. At the time, a Rega 3 was the usual comparitor with the RD80 in reviews (and price), rather than the LP12.

Construction on the old LP12 is bit better and it sounds a bit better as a result.

Bit of a difference, not a huge one.

Oh, come on! The Lp12 is a completely different league build-wise in every facet, from plinth to subchassis to motor pulley, bearing and platters. And it achieves job 1 for a turntable: rotating at exactly 33.3333..., which, sadly many decks don't.

Robert, you are not serious surely? RD80 is OK but an LP12 is way, way better made.

I am.

RD80 dates from the early 80s and the comparison is therefore with the old red button Linn - the one that was so well built and conceived that it needed re-setting every few months to stay at 100% or close, or if you so much as moved it!

I am.

RD80 dates from the early 80s and the comparison is therefore with the old red button Linn - the one that was so well built and conceived that it needed re-setting every few months to stay at 100% or close, or if you so much as moved it!

Let's agree to differ.

Rubber mat - good for stopping platters from ringing but bad as a record interface (which unfortunately is its primary role).

Ittok - great arm, reliable, nicely made, unfussy to use and partner, excellent second hand buy; is it better than the Aro? Not in any way, shape or form as far as I am concerned. Have I ever been tempted to buy an Ittok? No, not at all; but then I've never been tempted by an Ekos either.

RD80 - very good second hand buy; with the same care taken over setup I see no reason why it shouldn't compare very favourably with a similar age LP12. However, I'm not really a big fan of very old spec LP12's and they certainly sound quite different these days.

The LP12 originally came with a rubber mat.
Mind you, the original Linn was an Ariston :)

Rubber (or polymer) mats are not 'bad' - they just perform differently to felt and there is no universal rule IMO. Certainly my old Micro DDX1000 sounded better with the original rubber mat than with a felt or Funk mat.

RD80 - very good second hand buy; with the same care taken over setup I see no reason why it shouldn't compare very favourably with a similar age LP12.

It doesn't, and can't, because....etc!

The LP12 originally came with a rubber mat.
Mind you, the original Linn was an Ariston :)

Rubber (or polymer) mats are not 'bad' - they just perform differently to felt and there is no universal rule IMO. Certainly my old Micro DDX1000 sounded better with the original rubber mat than with a felt or Funk mat.

Well they are IMHO - they sound dead and over damped - the harder the composition the better - soft polymer ones sounding truly dire (I know the LP12 originally came with a rubber mat - pretty much every deck did back then - still doesn't alter my opinion - mind you, I don't use a felt mat either.)

It doesn't, and can't, because....etc!

Yeah, yeah etc. It's all a bit irrelevant isn't it? - as I wrote, I'm not particularly enamoured of vintage LP12's anyway. Perhaps the RD80's not such a good second hand buy (it's true that it wouldn't appear on my 'to consider' list) - I suppose it depends on how cheap it is.

...a 3mm felt mat plus a cetech subchassis added to an vintage LP 12 puts you far ahead of any old deck within reach provided you've solved the arm/system thing anyway...:)

I've got a LP12, Walker CJ55, Systemdeck, RD 80, PL12, Early Garrard SP25 & a few other decks/projects & a Roksan Radius. My ears are beyond identifying the subtle differences that exist between the better, but I can't resist rescuing a bit of history from the scrapheap. Havng recently listened to a needle drop from a good 301, I can't help,thinking that I should have invested in said same. Ultimately, vinyl still has loads to give and that's where I'll be concentrating my focus. Argue as much as you like which deck/combination you prefer, vinyl will be my preference until my dying day!

...a 3mm felt mat plus a cetech subchassis added to an vintage LP 12 puts you far ahead of any old deck within reach provided you've solved the arm/system thing anyway...:)

Indeed - '77 LP12 with a Sole, DIY Geddon and retrofitted corner braces and I'm a happy bunny.

Richard

The pressed steel base rings like a bell as well so fit some damping pads to it
Id say a set of the Linn black springs would also be an improvement.
I have fond memories of my RD80 / RB300 but I wouldn't say it was as good as my LP12, the RD11s would have given it a run for its money though.

Alan

advertisement

Back