advertisement

Ariston RD11 Capacitors

Anyone planning to trim these motors should remember that the circuit above is live and potentially lethal. I have an isolation transformer to make experimenting with this sort of circuit a bit less hazardous

Thanks Craig B & 337 alant,

After I got this data sheet and did the calacuation on R = V/I , I agree that the correct parameters on the resistor should be 6.8k ohm on 230V supply.
I believed the seller is using the wrong resistor (6.8 ohm) on the turntable. Therefore I got a vibration and heat from the motor.
Anyway, I will order a new 6.8k ohm resistor and replace it.
Thanks again yours kind assistance!

If anything 6.8k is a bit low. I would expect closer to 10k.
You need to measure the voltage across the motor windings, aiming for around 90V and 1.414 times as much between them

Thanks Craig B & 337 alant,

After I got this data sheet and did the calacuation on R = V/I , I agree that the correct parameters on the resistor should be 6.8k ohm on 230V supply.
I believed the seller is using the wrong resistor (6.8 ohm) on the turntable. Therefore I got a vibration and heat from the motor.
Anyway, I will order a new 6.8k ohm resistor and replace it.
Thanks again yours kind assistance!
I'm not sure why you are intent upon pursuing 6k8 when multiple contributors have confirmed 10k as the original component. I've just checked my old Ariston manuals (I worked for an authorized dealer), and the RD11S mains dropper resistor was indeed 10k for 220 - 240VAC 50hz mains. Specifically, RS Components 156-052 RES W/W 7W 10K (ceramic encased wire wound), which, according to RS have long since been discontinued, with their substitute being https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/through-hole-resistors/2061209.

After checking the relevant voltages across motor red to grey, blue to grey, and between motor red and blue, a large imbalance between the coils (as opposed to across them) is likely to be down to the 0.22uF phase capacitor having gone off spec. Note that even with a fresh cap these won't perfectly balance, as having a capacitor bridging the link to blue has some impact here. If you are noticing excessive vibration at the motor then this is also likely to be down to the cap. Regardless, as @martin clark wisely suggested back on page one, it costs very little to replace both components.

Motor voltage test points:
airpax_supply.gif

Ariston wiring scheme below (conveniently colour coded by someone). Provided your terminal block connections haven't been altered from this, set multimeter to VAC and test across screw heads 2 to 3 (red to grey), 6 to 3 (blue to grey), and 2 to 6 (red to blue). The 2 to 3 and 6 to 3 readings should be quite close, with 2 to 6 anywhere up to 1.5x as much.

Ariston.jpg

Last edited:

advertisement

Back