advertisement

Ariston Q Deck

Bracksy

pfm Member
Been on the look out for a cheep starter TT.

A local chap has offered a Q Deck not sure of price yet, should know some time this evening.

Opinions Please

Will be used with an Exposure Super XV & Royd Sapphires

Probably getting on for 25 years old - I had one late 80s/early 90s. I loved the look at the time but couldn't comment on audiophile credentials as it was being used in a nad3130/diamond 3 system. I'd want it to be very cheap I think given age.

He is looking for £75, the cartridge is an ortofon omb 10.
Dec looks tidy & a couple of scratches on the lid

Any idea how old the stylus is? I think they came with omb10 fitted (could have been omb5), so it could be as old as the deck.

Will find out i know a new belt has been fitted.
On a tight budget, i suppose i could go up to £120 if anyone has something suitable

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Giving it a miss. will keep my eyes peeled locally see what comes up & try & raise more funds.
The Revolver Decks do look rather nice

No way is a Q deck worth £75. It's 25 yrs old and it was only a Rega 2 competitor when it was new. Not as good as a RP2 at the time. £50 tops. This sort of money (£80-100) gets you a Thorens 150, which will murder a Q deck or a Rega. It might alternatively get you a Systemdek, with a fair wind.

As above - a very basic deck, easily bettered by a Rega or many of the other entry level decks of the time.

Picked up a Revolver with decent cart for under £100 about a year ago. It's a decent step up from the Q Deck which makes a mockery of the Ariston name IMO.

As it happens I'm listening to a Revolver / LVX / K9 at the mo. It's a very nice combo and IMO betters the Planar 3 of the day. Well worth looking out for one as they (usually) go for sensible money too. Oh, and yes, a big step up over the Q deck.

No way is a Q deck worth £75. It's 25 yrs old and it was only a Rega 2 competitor when it was new. Not as good as a RP2 at the time. £50 tops. This sort of money (£80-100) gets you a Thorens 150, which will murder a Q deck or a Rega. It might alternatively get you a Systemdek, with a fair wind.

Oddly enough my first deck was an Ariston Q-Deck and it was ditched when I was gifted a Thorens TD 150 which blew it away, and not by any small margin.

Albeit I'm having problems with that now (in separate thread) as it's so old and is a more complicated piece of kit than the Q-Deck was and may have to move on from it, it's forty years old.

I remember the reviews from back in the day and the budget market was either the Q-Deck or the RP2, I thought they were pretty evenly matched so far as the reviews went. It was a pleasant looking thing, push button speed change, quite nicely made.

But even if it's in excellent condition I'd agree that £50 would seem reasonable and I wonder if you can still get parts for it should they be needed whereas I suspect you can indeed still get parts for the Rega decks.

advertisement

Back