advertisement

Ariston/Linn Basic- cartridge advice

MVV

pfm Member
Hi All, a mate of mine has one of those Ariston LP12s with a Linn Basic on it. He has an old K9 on it which has got to be knackered. Having just bought some Epos ES 11s he wants to get the best out of the turntable. Cart has to be at the budget end. Any ideas?

Thanks. Oh and in the interim he wants to change the stylus but cant get it out, says it's 'too stiff'. Any ideas?

Thanks. Oh and in the interim he wants to change the stylus but cant get it out, says it's 'too stiff'. Any ideas?
He's likely trying to pull the stylus knob forward. He'll need to pull down and slightly backward. Best to remove the headshell first, assuming it isn't a fixed headshell Basik Plus model.

BTW, VMN95E would essentially be the K5 tip equivalent. K9 had a Vital tip so I'd say VMN95EN as minimum to preserve the majik, with the Shibata and Microline as upgrade. The K series bodies don't look bad with VMN95 styli on either.

s-l300.jpg

I’d just order the 95 now it’ll be here Mon/Tues and ditch the K9. If he is having hassles removing the stylus he should remove the K9 so he doesn’t bugger the arm bearings.

Audio Technica..

Yip. An AT moving magnet cart will suit the deck perfectly.

Note that while the current VM styluses fit the K9, the new carts are better than the K9 with a new stylus. I'd buy a new VM range cart and sell the K9 on eBay. Linn sheeps still pay more than is sensible for them and it would be remiss not to take advantage of that.

Yip. An AT moving magnet cart will suit the deck perfectly.

Note that while the current VM styluses fit the K9, the new carts are better than the K9 with a new stylus. I'd buy a new VM range cart and sell the K9 on eBay. Linn sheeps still pay more than is sensible for them and it would be remiss not to take advantage of that.
Just had a look on eBay - seriously how much? I gave mine away rather than buy a stylus for it years back and keep it as a spare, should’ve kept it.

advertisement

Back