advertisement

Aries Mini internal drive install

Hi

The first drive I tried was a Adata one, cheap as chips. The other one that I tried to install yesterday is a Seagate, but it didn't need any drive software as far I recall when I connected it my Mac Mini

Thanks

In that case, we can assume that the drive is not faulty. Your Mac is not running Linux though. Certainly some Seagate drives are not compatible with the Aries Mini because they use a high density storage technology (I cannot remember what Seagate calls it) which is not supported by Linux. I assume that support could be added by installing suitable driver software, but you do not have that option with devices like the Aries Mini. There is a note about the Seagate Barracuda 2TB drives in this article, but I can tell you from experience that at least one non-Barracuda slimline Seagate 2TB drive is also not compatible, because it relies on the same technology.

https://support.auralic.com/hc/en-u...What-kind-of-HDD-SSD-Can-I-Use-in-ARIES-MINI-

I would need to know the model details in order to help further.

Hmmm are the SSD drives intialised as MBR or GPT? Just a thought that there might be a mismatch.

Cheers,

DV

I seem to remember having to use my MacBook Air at the beginning to load my music files from my computer onto the minis ssd.

Seagate use SMR in some drives, maybe it’s that tech the Mini doesn’t like, SMR = shingled magnetic recording, packs data more densely

advertisement

Back