advertisement

Aries Mini internal drive install

bernardhepworth

pfm Member
Hello

So far I've been using an external SSD drive for my music library with the Mini. I now want to use the internal drive.

I've now bought an internal SSD drive and I'm having a problem getting the Mini to recognise the drive.

I've been using this guide https://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us/articles/206621237-How-to-Start-Using-Internal-Storage-

My problem is that I want to initialize the SSD drive and import the music from the external SSD to the internal drive. I can't anywhere in set up/music library that allows me to work out what the issue is.

I'm guessing that I'm doing something wrong, All advice would be welcome.

I think I followed the instructions as linked to in your post. I don’t think the screens I saw in the Lightning DS app looked exactly like the ones shown, but I found the relevant section by searching around.
One issue I noticed was when you clicked on ‘initialise internal storage’ there was no progress bar and it wasn’t obvious that the Aries Mini was actually doing anything in response. However, after waiting a while it did work.

Have you found the ‘initialise internal storage’ button?

regards
Kevin

I’ll try and describe it, if that doesn’t work I’ll do some screen shots.

I am assuming you have downloaded Lightning DS to your iPhone or iPad and are using it to control your Aries Mini already.

Open up Lightning DS.
Navigate to the home screen where you have options for: my account, collection , playlists, my music etc. down the left-hand side.
Click on the gear/settings icon in the bottom left corner.
Click on ‘Lightning Device’.
Click the name of your device.
Click on ‘additional operations’.
Choose ‘library setup’ from the menu.
Under ‘library path information’ I see ‘HDD - connected’. Click on that.
Scroll down a little and you’ll see ‘Initialise internal storage’ in red text. Click on that.

When it is initialised, look 4 buttons above’ initialise internal storage’ and you’ll see an option for ‘import music from USB drive’. If a drive is connected that it recognises it will do as it says and transfer music from USB drive to internal SSD.

good luck

Kevin

JvN7bms.png
9n9eLLk.jpg
Ys4Sfo5.png
SM8jqsF.png
V0U3s0L.png
i

The 'Import Music from USB Drive' will be available once a drive is connected. Let the Mini Scan the drive fully before pressing this button (you will see the files counting up at the top of the last page).

After the import has happened - you will see the number of files increasing at the top of the page you will need to:

1. Disconnect the USB in the Path Library info.
2. Force re-scan of HDD
3. Refresh Cache.

You should be done then if I remember correctly.

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the information.

In library set up, I can only add a USB drive or a network shared folder, not a hard drive.

I'll go and investigate further. Its a brand new drive so it must be something else

Hi

the 2 options you mention appear on my screen if I click the gear/settings icon alongside ‘library path information’, along with 2 other options, ‘re-scan all paths’ and ‘re-scan specific path’.

Immediately below that line is where I see ‘HDD connected’. Maybe if you don’t see ‘HDD connected’ there, then your Aries hasn’t recognised the internal SSD.

I guess you may have already opened the Aries up again to check that the internal SSD is fully ‘docked’ in the Aries, but if not that would be my next check.

hope this helps

Kevin

I would check that the HDD is seated properly. Did you attach to the metal cage and fully push it home into the connections? Re-install the drive for it to be recognised.

I've taken the drive out and put it back in making sure that I pushed it fully home. It still shows that it doesn't see the drive. I had another thought, does the drive need to be formatted before it goes Iinto the Mini?

I think the ‘initialise’ part of the process described above is the drive formatting. Could it be that the SSD you have received is faulty. Is there another way to test this.

Other than this I’m afraid I’ve exhausted my pool of advice. I guess I was lucky that my install went more smoothly than yours.

Good luck.

Kevin

As Kevin says "initialising' the drive formats it. I think you may have a faulty drive or, worse case, the Mini is faulty but try another drive first.

You have been a little unlucky here.

I've now tried a second drive which I've used to store music on in the past and it doesn't see that either, so I think that the Mini is faulty. I used an external SSD before so I'll go back to using that for now and look at what other options are around.

Thanks for all the help, it is appreciated.

What makes and models of drive are you using? There are some constraints on which drives you can use. Any drive which draws more than one amp (typical of "pro" badged SSD drives) or which requires extra driver software (some Seagate HDDs) is going to be problematic.

Hi

The first drive I tried was a Adata one, cheap as chips. The other one that I tried to install yesterday is a Seagate, but it didn't need any drive software as far I recall when I connected it my Mac Mini

Thanks

advertisement

Back