advertisement

"aren't Rogers speakers wonderful"

I had a pair of Rogers Studio Ones for a short time before replacing them with a pair Kans which to me sounded much better. Maybe it was the "port".

1216452482_1.jpg

I have some JR149s and also some LS3/5As. In the right setting, they are superb, but if they are underpowered or in a large room - not so great.

Rogers LS7T, Spendor SP2/3, Harbeth Compact 7

= similar loudspeakers with different flavors.

There's always been widely varying opinions on many of these BBC influenced designs, be it vintage Rogers or modern day Harbeths.

Where they seemingly differ most (particularly the 8" 2 ways) is in their eccentric off axis behavior in comparison with modern monitors such as most ATC's. I'd expect the BBC type designs to be heavily influenced by the room and listening position in a manner that might not be the case with speakers exhibiting a more uniform response.

And they would be impressed at how you chaps had maintained your youthful prowess no doubt. :)

Actually Steve I weigh the same as I did at the age of eighteen. My speakers however have got bigger and heavier. They weigh 100kg each. Similar to said ex as it goes.

Good stuff. Just as well if you are a MAMIL . I was just reminded of a certain barman with his gut hanging over his belt, scratching his arse exclaiming "why is it so many birds let themselves go"?

....and back to the Rogers...I have recently acquired a set of Studio 1 on the wam, compared very favourably when compared to new Harbeth M30.1. Looking for amps with good synergy, and experience of amps that pair well?

....and back to the Rogers...I have recently acquired a set of Studio 1 on the wam, compared very favourably when compared to new Harbeth M30.1. Looking for amps with good synergy, and experience of amps that pair well?

I have the Rogers Monitor LS3/6, which appear related to the Studio 1.

My speakers have the Export Monitor bass units (Dalesford) to replace the original units that probably failed. They sound pretty good, I prefer them to Spendor BC1's which I also have.

It would be interesting to know which bass units your speakers use?

The LS3/6 has a massive autotransformer in it, I am pretty sure that yours does not have this.

Another Studio 7 owner here.

They're just lovely. No doubt modern computer-aided design has moved the speaker world on a bit, but I don't feel there's anything radically missing here. Sounds like music.

I knocked one of my LS3/6's of it's stand, only damaged the cabinet, managed to fix it so that it's almost impossible to see any damage.

Surely the LS3/5a could be fixed.

21 years and counting. Still using my Studio 3s and AB3 bass extenders. Nothing I can accommodate comes close. Just natural and open with no trace of 'artifice'. Bass will never be seismic, but is subjectively deep tuneful and textured. Still a happy bunny. :)

Mull

21 years and counting. Still using my Studio 3s and AB3 bass extenders. Nothing I can accommodate comes close. Just natural and open with no trace of 'artifice'. Bass will never be seismic, but is subjectively deep tuneful and textured. Still a happy bunny. :)

Mull

Ah, those Studio 3s...
Another pair of speakers I should have hung on to.

Rogers LS4a were the first speakers I ever owned and I sometimes get a hankering to buy/ own a pair to see what they would sound like. I replaced them with a pair of Harbeth HL-P3's as I'd be working at the BBC and heard the LS3/5a. The Harbeth's easily outperformed the Rogers in most parameters though, detail, tone, and especially imaging.

A long time ago I bought some used LS6a for garden use and they were lovely. Before I sold them a few years ago I fished them down from the loft where they'd lain unused for a decade.

It took little over an hour to bring them back to life and I compared them side to side with my then enormous ProAc Response Fours. Two hours later I was still listening. Obviously not the bass depth or scale but incredibly musical, clear and responsive.

Rogers LS4a were the first speakers I ever owned and I sometimes get a hankering to buy/ own a pair to see what they would sound like. I replaced them with a pair of Harbeth HL-P3's as I'd be working at the BBC and heard the LS3/5a. The Harbeth's easily outperformed the Rogers in most parameters though, detail, tone, and especially imaging.

I always fancied trying some LS4as many years ago, but was rather disappointed with them.
Not bad by any means, but nothing special to my ears.
I think the best small speakers I've heard are my Harbeth P3-ESRs, but my Goodmans LS3/5as are very good.

Thumbs-up for LS2 s.Spent my grant on a pair with Naim Nait and Rega Planner in the early 80's as a student. My first 'proper audio'. Fantastic system.

advertisement

Back