advertisement

Are you tone deaf ?

30/32 using the iPad speakers. “Better than 94% of people”, apparently. Disappointed I didn’t get the full 32, I may try again with headphones at some point!

32/32 twice - but some of the 1/64 were guesses. Im not convinced all of the 1/64 up tones are identical :)

My son is a music teacher, and he scored 29 out of 32.

Only wish I could sing or play half as well as I can hear :(

30/32 using the iPad speakers. “Better than 94% of people”, apparently. Disappointed I didn’t get the full 32, I may try again with headphones at some point!
Exactly the same as me on my iPad. I failed the first two very close ones. The later similar intervals were much easier to spot for some reason.

Exactly the same here. I got everything from then onwards without thinking.

That was me too. It was the first microtones I missed, and got the rest even when they were the same interval I had missed before.

30/32 here as well, using crappy laptop speakers. Though I'm not blaming that for the two I got wrong -I guessed at those!

Though I love music (Duh!), playing and listening, I don't have much by way of natural ability so really have to work at it (playing that is) (and if anyone heard me play they might well be thinking - tell us something we don't know! :D)

Happy Christmas.

John

I’m not 100% convinced those first two microtones were kosher as it seems a few folk failed those but got the others, but I can’t be bothered to go back and try again.

Another 30 on laptop speakers. Again the first two very small differences were missed...

Three times at 31/32. Each time failed on the 1/64 UP.

Never mind!

Bit of fun for a Christmas morning.

Happy Christmas to you all! George

The first 1/64 up sounds a lot less noticeable than the later ones - I took a guess at it. I wonder is it a trick/calibration type question - ie there's actually no difference, they are just testing to see if people have a bias towards selecting high or low ? :)

edit: just realised the notes are presented in a random sequence..that should read some of the 1/64s (as pointed out below)

Last edited:
The first 1/64 up sounds a lot less noticeable than the later ones - I took a guess at it. I wonder is it a trick/calibration type question - ie there's actually no difference, they are just testing to see if people have a bias towards selecting high or low ? :)
I wouldn’t be surprised - so far no-one here has said they definitely heard a difference. I briefly thought about using a frequency tester on it but pulled myself together and realised life was way, way too short for that kind of obsessional behaviour!

I wouldn’t be surprised - so far no-one here has said they definitely heard a difference.

No each time I "guessed wrong." I do suppose that a tiny number of people might hear a difference, but based on my own experience, the difference is so small as to be impossible for me to actually hear. It might be a trick or it might be real.

When I decided to try to learn the double bass, I was put onto a good teacher, and the essential test for playing a fretless instrument was a sense of pitch. My potential new teacher would not take me on unless I could discern tiny pitch variations ... He took me on as a pupil ... and whatever other mistakes I would go on to make playing professionally, I always kept in tune and held the rhythm .

ATB from George

28/32 on buzzing MacBook speakers, 31/32 on Sennheiser HD600 headphones.

Interestingly, I found some 1/32rd and 1/64th tone changes much more obvious to spot than other 1/32rd and 1/64th changes. On a couple of occasions I even found some 1/64th changes easier to spot than some 1/32rd changes??!!

advertisement

Back