advertisement

Are you in the right job?

I was perplexed by the question that asked something like ‘Do you enjoy working with facts?’ As opposed to what, I wondered? Being a science-fiction novelist? Although I suppose it could have been a screening question to see if I was made of the right stuff for Dom’s brave new Civil Service.
If you prefer alternative facts, maybe it suggests a career in politics or journalism?

Number 1 for me was "creative and media" which is mostly a miss, the next 5 were hits or close misses and the last 4 were clear misses. Not too bad for a bit of light entertainment.

Having actually now taken it among a few others it says information scientist, palaeontologist and film critic.

Not bad when you consider I work in the IT side of pensions. So I program calculations, move 0s and 1s around, deal with crusty old fossils and think everything I see at work is shit.

Closest pick for me was actor. I work in film but hang a red card above my desk indicating I don't want to be filmed for the DVD extras.

It also suggested football ref but I don't think I'll ever understand the offside rule.

I was given Management Consultant which is definitely related to my current role.
Second suggestion was a uniformed profession, no chance!

giphy.gif

Nonsense for me. Uniform/armed forces, construction and then some random managerial/retail/sales/security stuff.

The only bit of that that makes any sense is construction, because I like making things and I'm practical. I could see myself in construction because it's little different from my chosen career of manufacturing. I've spent today making a new ingredient work in cake, it might just as well have been a building or some other installation.

Thing is that I like being in factories making things work. Practical solutions to real world problems. I know my success level, I've reduced scrap, or improved micro quality, or whatever. It's just taken me 30 years to work out how to enjoy what I do and make it pay.

Oddly I got no results for construction, which was my first ever job and the only one I have ever held a qualification in.

advertisement

Back