advertisement

Are you in the right job?

I did it yesterday as a result of it being mentioned on the coronavirus thread and got the same results (actor, copy editor, commissioning editor). I am the least likely person on the planet to want to be an actor given I cross the street to avoid TV crews, hide from cameras in general and don’t even have a mirror in the house beyond a tiny one for shaving. I guess running this place requires some editorial perspective, and at least they pegged me as a ‘creative’, but really it is just utter ..
Quite a few actors are painfully shy, one reason for the problems many of them have

Just ask yourself what do I want to do repeatedly until you come up with an answer that pays enough.

the Test seems to conclude that if, for example, you like working with your hands, you should get a job that involves working with your hands.

NSS.

Came out with 10 matching job categories, which pretty much covers every possible job on the planet. Jack of all trades me!

Hospitality and food. Definitely channelling the no-nonsense style of careers advice I remember from school.

Mine were broadly around retail, hospitality, and care. Did retail, got wound up by numpty, unreasonable customers. Can't imagine working in hospitality and care. It's far from obvious why those things came up given the preferences I expressed.

What I do now (in very rough terms: subject matter expert in public sector) suits me quite nicely. Nothing remotely like this in the output for me.

I wonder if this beta is an application produced by another bunch of cronies with little to no actual expertise in the field?

Either that, or Chris Grayling had a hand in it somewhere.

wasn't someone on PFM a proper careers advisor? Cant rem who though...... be interesting to see what they think

wasn't someone on PFM a proper careers advisor? Cant rem who though...... be interesting to see what they think

It's Mullardman.

Of the ten choices, only one came slightly close to what I actually do: Technical Architect.

A huge range of choices with another 5 categories requiring further questions. Conclusion jack of all trades master of none I guess.

I put good with hands and got a whole section on being a builder

None of them really got close to what I have done for the past 12 years. But to be fair it usually takes 20 mins to explain what I do anyway.

Well, it identified something that could be my current occupation and also 'Coastguard', which seems both random and oddly specific. I wonder how much money was given to KPMG to come up with this nonsense?

In other news, those employed in facilities for entertainment and sporting venues have been told this week that they are going to have to live on 25% of their salary or find something else to do. To proffer this novelty in the face of that seems beyond insulting.

Suggesting a career in hospitality and food service during a pandemic is about as helpful as suggesting gigolo or rock star.

I dunno, I think Gigolo might prove both a popular and achievable career aspiration in Boris's Britain.

I was perplexed by the question that asked something like ‘Do you enjoy working with facts?’ As opposed to what, I wondered? Being a science-fiction novelist? Although I suppose it could have been a screening question to see if I was made of the right stuff for Dom’s brave new Civil Service.

advertisement

Back