advertisement

Are there any compact DACs with Burr Brown chips?

TonyScarlett

pfm Member
Currently have an Exposure 3010S2CDP & Allo Digione Signature feeding a Roksan K3 DAC, also have a Marantz SA14S1SE CDP (currently on Ebay). I love the sound of all these components & don't think it's a coincidence that they all utilize Burr Brown DAC chips (my previous digital sources were Audiolab 8300CDP & Mytec Liberty DAC both of which utilize ESS DAC chips & both of which I found a little cold & unengaging). So my question is are there any compact DACs (under £1K) that utilize the Burr Brown chips?
Thanks TS

Burr Brown were bought out by Texas instruments in 2000 so don't really exist anymore. The ESS dac's that you don't like are the market leaders these days.

Your Allo DigiOne would be excellent with a Linn Numerik, which uses the best Burr Brown DAC, the PCM63.

I think later models used the PCM1702, but I’d want the 63.

Burr Brown were bought out by Texas instruments in 2000 so don't really exist anymore. The ESS dac's that you don't like are the market leaders these days.
Seems like most affordable DACs these days are either ESS or AKM. I have an AKM equipped Topping DX3 pro in my bedroom set up which is a great sounding DAC for the money so if I can't find a suitable Burr Brown equipped DAC I'm seriously thinking of going for a Topping D70 despite the risks.

John Kenny's Ciunas DAC has the TI DAC chip that was developped with Burr-Brown legacy. With battery/supercap supplies it's certainly one of the best implementations available. Very compact, too! Bettered my Soekris R2R.

John Kenny's Ciunas DAC has the TI DAC chip that was developped with Burr-Brown legacy. With battery/supercap supplies it's certainly one of the best implementations available. Very compact, too! Bettered my Soekris R2R.
I'd stay well clear of that one. The internal design (or rather lack thereof) makes it a fire hazard. The battery/supercap is capable of delivering extremely high currents, and with no fuse or other protection device, a fault could easily have catastrophic consequences.

I'd stay well clear of that one. The internal design (or rather lack thereof) makes it a fire hazard. The battery/supercap is capable of delivering extremely high currents, and with no fuse or other protection device, a fault could easily have catastrophic consequences.
That’s a reasonably explosive second post you’ve made there.

That’s a reasonably explosive second post you’ve made there.
It's a reasonably explosive device. I tried to post a link to ASR, but the forum wouldn't let me. I guess there's some minimum number of posts required before links are allowed. A reasonable, if inconvenient, anti-spam measure.

advertisement

Back