advertisement

Are smart tvs any good

peter bj

pfm Member
I was at a friends house yesterday and they have a samsung smart tv .
When they demonstrated it , it was abit slow in working and on i player etc there was a time delay on dialogue so not that brilliant apart from the fact it is built in . I think my ps3 and 2nd hand bt box do a better job .
Any thoughts on this ?

we have a small one [sony] and I like the fact we can watch prime on it . my mum has a big 4k smart and she finds it hard to use [lg] its not easy and I wish I had never bought it

My Samsung was OK, but I unplugged it for several hours and now it won't connect to the internet. I'm still streaming via my Now TV box so the router is obviously connected to the internet, and now use that for catch-up.

Sounds like they have an older unit.

I wouldnt imagine you would have problems like that on newer sets. They can be a little slow when opening apps etc, they could never compare to a Playstation, but even a PS3 is slow by all means these days.

It also depends on your internet connection.

I found external boxes slower than my tv - the NOW TV ones were useless, I could make a cup of tea before the Mk1 version would open a movie.

Pop along to Curries or Richer Sounds and have a play with a new set.

My Samsung has a drop out issue when watching Netflix or similar online streaming services. It will work fine for an hour and then I have to switch it off and back on again. Very irritating.

LG here
No lag, no drop outs no complaints whatsoever.
I love it.
Iplayer, Netflix, You tube, Tedtv, etc.

I have a new Samsung 6400 and it's superb. Works smoothly. Connects to my nas Andy lets me stream video and other services work very nicely. Not sure of brewer models have better processors and more ram but I've had no problems so far.

I have a 2 year old Panasonic one. It's a tad slower to load the players than a computer and typing in words with a tv remote feels old fashioned.

Never mind all that, it hasn't got an amazon player. And for that reason, its not quite good enough.

My Samsung has a drop out issue when watching Netflix or similar online streaming services. It will work fine for an hour and then I have to switch it off and back on again. Very irritating.

My Panasonic does that about once a fortnight.

I haven't seen smart TV software that provides a better user experience than a chromecast combined with a Plex server for local network content.

Ultimately, the smart TVs I have used work, but they are soggy to use, for the sake of a hundy or so, put an appletv 4 under it or an amazon fire tv for a much better experience.

Our Samsung's smart features work well enough, but the Amazon FIRE TV's so much better. A great device!

Yea they work fine, nothing wrong with them. Until you use something thats good, then you realise!

I own
Apple TV3 - never use it
Chromecast - never use it anymore, got fed up with it freezing
Roku stick - what a joke they are, slow as a slow thing
3 Amazon Fire-sticks, all Kodi'd up to high heaven. Half the time flakey as anything with hooky stuff but ok with anything else

None of them are faster, better, give a better experience than my stock tv smart functions.

The 10 year old Panasonic plasma I have is as slow as a slow thing working slowly when I try to access Netflix etc. The LG one I bought a couple of months ago is at least as fast as an Apple TV4, i.e. It's far better.

LG here
No lag, no drop outs no complaints whatsoever.
I love it.
Iplayer, Netflix, You tube, Tedtv, etc.

Yes same here. LG's Web OS is amazingly smooth and lag free. I do have a Virgin cable connection though, so 300 plus MB speed and I use Netflix and Amazon most days. It also has Spotify which works incredibly well, but I moved over to Tidal so no longer use Spotify, I hope/wish that Roon would look at the possibility of using these smart Tv's as an endpoint. Connect to my NAS and I wouldn't need a computer at all... I use optical out from the TV into an Audiolab DAC and it doesn't sound half bad either. COME ON ROON!!!

It's hard to not buy a smart tv if you're looking for a new set. Certainly all the 4K models from the major suppliers are smart tvs.

What I find interesting is that Apple TV does not have an Amazon app available for it.

advertisement

Back