advertisement

Are half speed masters better SQ?

ks.234

Half way to Infinity
I’m looking at getting a copy of Eno’s Music for Airports. Probably one of these.
https://www.discogs.com/Brian-Eno-Ambient-1-Music-For-Airports/release/12800683

https://www.discogs.com/Brian-Eno-Ambient-1-Music-For-Airports/release/12801239

My question is this, is half speed mastering better SQ.

My only point of reference is a half speed copy of Rumours. It sounds better than my very tired old copy, but a little ‘bright’. But I don’t know if that’s down to the format in general, or that particular record.

Any one got any experience or knowledge? Is half speed inherently better SQ?

Theoretically yes, is my understanding.
However, I'd say in reality that it's only a part of the whole. The skill of the mastering engineer, the care taken, the quality of the original master used, (ie original tape or a spruced up cd) all have a significant affect on the end result.
You would certainly hope that a half-speed remaster would be better, ( & in my experience, they are) especially as I guess it will be sold at a premium price, but I wouldn't say it's guaranteed to be better.

They surely CAN be, for good technical reasons. But they are not AUTOMATICALLY so, it depends on so many factors, many of them human, some of them relating to the quality of the source - you cannot improve a bad source for instance.

You would HOPE that they mostly are better because the effort to make a half speed master is not trivial - but as always there are likely some duds around made by bandwagon types.

The recent Tin Drum half speed master is very good indeed, but the reissue of the Banshees' 'Juju' is just terrible; I had a headache before I got to the end. As mentioned above, it's not just the process; there's still a human doing the mastering who can EQ it for fake detail.

And yet a 45 rpm LP is in theory better SQ because more information is getting through the needle than at 33rpm. Like a tape running at 7.5ips is better quality than at 3.75ips. So is faster better or slower ????

45rpm should be better than 33rpm but that means you have to split the LP into 4 sides. I've never heard a half speed 33rpm LP re-master but they are supposed to be good, but apparently suit some material better than others from engineers I've asked.

Here's a good article https://www.udiscovermusic.com/halfspeed/

True half speed mastering AAA 100% pure analogue is sourced from a tape , mastered in analogue , analogue preview head on cutting lathe and the results can be far superior
Nothing new & Decca used this in the 1950s & audiophile labels since the 60s
Virtually all modern half speed masters are sourced from a digital file or USB stick & then the lathe is run at half-speed

This has been said here before...……………

Crepe mastering is exactly that, no matter what speed the master is cut at or the replay speed is.

Slower speed mastering allows the cutting tool to achieve more detail as it simply means that the mechanical movement of the tool is slower and potentially more detailed as a result - it can cut/store more information in the groove (or on the tape).
Higher replay speed means that the same information is crammed into a longer length of groove (or tape), so it is possible to store more detail/information. What is seen by the stylus or tape head is the same at all speeds as the music must play at the right speed.

More detail/information being stored is of no use or benefit if limitations of the playback mechanism means that it cannot be retrieved though...…………………..

For vinyl playback, think of some corrugated paper. You have a sharp pencil and a piece of 6mm dowel. Swipe them both across the corrugations at slow and fast speeds - what do you feel? How much of the corrugations do you feel?

I’m looking at getting a copy of Eno’s Music for Airports. Probably one of these.
https://www.discogs.com/Brian-Eno-Ambient-1-Music-For-Airports/release/12800683

https://www.discogs.com/Brian-Eno-Ambient-1-Music-For-Airports/release/12801239

My question is this, is half speed mastering better SQ.

My only point of reference is a half speed copy of Rumours. It sounds better than my very tired old copy, but a little ‘bright’. But I don’t know if that’s down to the format in general, or that particular record.

Any one got any experience or knowledge? Is half speed inherently better SQ?

not sure a half speed 'master' of eno would get you anywhere - eno's one of my favourites but honestly the SQ ain't fabulous ...tends to come with the territory of tape looping and processing ...

Why are no half speed mastered 45 albums then?

Now that, is one hell of a good question. For a genuine answer, rather than a guess, we probably need a recording/mastering engineer. Maybe detail etc. beyond any "normal" replay mechanism to retrieve????????

Having heard a very few well-mastered half speeds and 45rpm's in comparison with the same album, routinely produced, I can say that they are far more detailed and layered, clearer.

Well if 45 gives better fidelity and half speed mastering does too why not stack them. Seems like it's been done.

Not sure how they'd be in competition any mastering studio can easily gear up to do either or both. It's not like it's a closed shop like mqa

I have several 45rpm albums but no 1/2 speed fellasat that speed, only 33rpm

I generally prefer the dynamics of 45rpm records, whether singles, EP's or RE's.

By coincidence I have ordered both Ambient 1 & 4 at 45rpm, I also have the EG releases of these on 33rpm and will see which I prefer,
and sell one or t'other

Bloss

I think there were/are some Peter Gabriel half speed remasters at 45rpm as well.

My self and SteveS1 did a comparison of PG 4.We had the double 45 rpm,an original pressing and the Classic Quiex 200g.The Quiex was much preferred by us with the original pressing not to far behind,just lacking a bit in detail,the 45 rpm was pretty poor lacking in both detail and dynamic's.

advertisement

Back