advertisement

Arcam One speakers - instructions or owner manual

Operajulian

Julian
Hi there

Does anyone in Pink Fish land have a copy of ( old ) instructions or owner manual for Arcam One speakers.
I have a sales brochure and some reviews but I would like to get hold of the instructions.

And yes it is for nostalgia more than the actual need of how to connect them.

Thanks
Julian

Just reviving this again.
I did get a reply from Ed in the helpful service team at Arcam/Harman etc about my request for more info on the SA60 and Arcam One combination.
Sadly he cannot find any scanned docs or manuals from this model in the earlier era other than the A60 user brochure ( which I have loads of ).
He did say he had even contacted the designer ( John Dawson perhaps ?) to no avail. So if anyone out there has a hand typed owners manual or similar they may have the only one out there !

Cheers
Julian

He did say he had even contacted the designer ( John Dawson perhaps ?) to no avail.
Julian

You might just check with Ed (again as John Dawson retired some years ago & the support staff have also change a few years ago. I met John Dawson at the (no longer held) Manchester show 7 or 8 years ago & had a discussion with him about their (also discontinued) speakers & cartridges - I had passed a pair of Arcam Two's down to my son. John Dawson told me he had a number of pairs of the One, Two & Three so it seems quite likely he has the manuals as well. You could also check if anyone there now has any contact with Matt Frost who was their service contact for quite some years & he seemed to know everything.

I wanted a Delta 290P power amp to match my amp 20 odd years ago, Arcam had discontinued them 2-3 years previously however when I rang them I spoke to John Dawson who was very helpful and ended up selling me one of his own.

Thanks for your replies to date. The very nice Ed from Arcam support did just send an email that he got back from the "designer". Some nice insights from the man involved in the original.

From Ed: I have a reply from the original designer which should hopefully prove useful:-

"Wow that's nearly 40 years old! I am not sure why the computer system doesn't have the schematics etc on it and I don't think I have them at home, though I will look. Originally they will have been stored in some kind of A4 binder for access by support/service and if that's been lost we have no records I imagine.

A group was set up around 1980 to do this and agree levels, pin outs etc so you could use a given speaker with different electronics. It was somewhat pretentiously named ALSO = the Active Loudspeaker Standards Organisation. Original members Arcam, Linn, Naim, Nytech and ARC.

The active crossover for the Arcam One was designed for the original Arcam Ones that had a set of crossover links on the back with IIIRC 8 terminals in all; this allowed us to bypass the actual crossover components and access the drive units directly by removing bridging metal strips. It will not work (properly) for the later (taller) Arcam Ones that have only 4 terminals on the back as one can't get the passive crossover network out of the signal path. Similarly the ARC speaker had a removable external crossover "brick" - unplugging it exposed the 4 terminals connected to the speaker treble and bass units.

The crossover board fitted in the SA60 was a universal PCB designed to be configurable by fitting components for one pole crossover slopes (6dB/octave), 2 pole (12 db/octave) and possibly even 3 pole. Again, IIRC, the Arcam One was set up for 2 pole crossover, as was the ARC101. The Tangent was different and I don't recall how, but was possibly linear phase single pole. There will be preset pots on these boards to set up the relative gain between treble and bass (factory set for the right nominal values). Of course you can't change the chosen crossover frequencies for each speaker system without changing parts on the PCB, nor should you need to.

To get it going one retro-fitted a small A60P board to the A60 at the point of entry to the power amps, i.e. post volume, tone and balance controls. This was fitted with a 5 pin DIN connector with ins and outs from memory and replaced one of the original DIN sockets, probably the 3rd (AUX) socket. This was connected with a 4 way DIN cable to the optional crossover board in the SA60 - it provided a stereo full bandwidth feed to the crossover PCB and a single channel treble and bass (filtered) return to the A60 to drive one loudspeaker. The SA60 then took care of the other channel. I can't remember which amp took care of L and which R!

That's about as much as I can tell you right now. You need to confirm which Arcam Ones the enquirer has before anything else. Feel free to pass on this email to him.

It worked pretty well by the way in sonic terms and was only abandoned because we needed to design a new PCB every time a speaker design was modified so it became very complex to support. Linn and Naim kept theirs running for a long time but that was because they had direct control of their own speaker models."

I did reply to let them have my thanks and that also the Arcam One has nine terminals on the back. The original A60AP drives the left, the SA60 drives the right.
Happy tinkering and listening. I will let you know when I actually get it powered up.
Julian

Up and running on the basement workbench - finally.
Went to the storage unit this afternoon and pulled all the boxes for at go at connecting them up.
Various bits from many places and travelled thousands of miles ( sorry dear planet ).
A&R A60 AP
A&R SA60 with Arcam One crossover card
Arcam One speakers
( with a NAD CD into the tuner input )

Quite surprised that its all working first go. Could do with a bit of cleaning, some caps changes and a better volume - but it works.
Couple of pics on flickr here: - https://flic.kr/p/2aFduMf

I also landed an envelope of old A&R leaflets, pricelists and reviews. I will scan them sometime and upload to HiFi Engine.

Happy listening - Julian

Had a quick look at the 1983 A&R Customer Price List
( Happens to be the year that I graduated from University )

A&R 1983 Pricelist - Inc 15% VAT

A60 AP Amplifier £218.50
SA60X with EX62 crossover £175.95
T21 Tuner £189.75
(Extra for black case £5.75 - might need three !)
DIN Cable AP to SA £6.50
Arcam One Speaker £299.00 Pair
Medite Stands £49.90 Pair
All adds up for Total: £939.60 ( Purchase - Not possible on my Uni grant )

OR in todays 2018 value with inflation approx: £3,176
And that is not counting speaker cables, DIN interconnects plus the turntable, cassette deck etc.
That certainly adds up.

Julian

Julian, I just wanted to say thanks for posting all this up.

I had not known of the Arcam One and their origin in the Active Loudspeaker Standards Organisation along with Nytech and ARC. I've used Nytech gear since the late 80's but parted company with the ARC101's I'd had some time ago. I've been wanting to get an active system up and running again, then I saw some Arcam One's on Ebay, and thanks to your info the decision was made.

So far I've just cleaned them and done some quick listening in passive mode driven by a NAP250. For the price paid I'm very happy. Next steps are to replace the tatty diffraction foam, sort out some decent open frame stands, and configure my Nytech amps to drive them actively.

All I got with the speakers was a couple of hanks of bellwire and the colour flyer, so sadly I can't help you with the instruction manual.

Hi Julian, it'd be really useful to see the schematic of the A&R active crossover board for the Arcam One, could you help with that ? I'd like to confirm the rolloff characteristic of the lowpass and highpass filters, so I can be sure my Nytech is set up accordingly.

Hi Andy
Sadly I have no schematics of the crossover. I have four crossover cards ( 2 Arcam 1 Arc and one Tangent ) - and one Arcam card is a spare so I could send you the actual crossover if that works for you to then deduce what is going on. Each of the cards have slightly different resistor values and that is as far as I have got inn trying to work them out :)

I have the Arcams in my basement and a wife who mentions how loud they are when they are at 1/4 volume..........

Hi Julian, thanks, that's a super offer. Possibly I could work out the schematic from a few decent pictures, to save on postage ? If you'd be prepered to email me them.. I'll PM you just now with my email address.

Agreed the Arcam One's have really impressed me so far, but then I've been listening to Kan's for years :) I think there's more to come too as they're still on their original dreadful stands until I can weld up some steel framed ones.

PS. Do yours have any foam loading in the port or internal wadding visible ? Mine don't, looking in the port I can see the back of the HF unit.

Hi Andy - sent you some pics via a PM.

Mine still have some wadding in the main cabinet but have long since lost any foam bung for the rear port. I tried various materials in the rear port to see if I could hear much of a difference but given that the speakers are still on the workbench, its not ideal listening for comparison purposes. Mind you when you turn up the volume a bit one can really feel the air pushing out the back.

Hope the other "research" on the EX62 crossover card goes well.
Julian

I picked up a pair of these Arcam one's in pretty worn out condition some 6 months back. When I listened to them the very first time, the female focal was harsh and forward and I had to play it very loud to juice some bass. On closer inspection, I came to realised that the tweeters had been changed to a pair of Motorola Piezo bullet tweeters. I then put the Arcam One's aside until some 3 months back when I picked up a pair of NOS Isophon KK8 tweeters, the tweeter used by Monitor Audio on their MA3 and MA5 speakers. One afternoon, I swapped out the Motorola's with the KK8, and OMG, it has gone so much better. Mid to high range have become sweet and timbre, although not really airy. Bass response has extended to the deep side. It rolls off In situations of really deep basses. However, it was tight and present. Overall, very listenable.

Now my question is what are the original tweeters, brand and model, as I am very curious to know.

Hi 1303
I think the tweeter was made by Peerless. I don't know the model number but according to reviews published at the time it was then modified by A&R
The bass unit was made by Elac who were asked to do Lots of prototyping first. More info in a HiFi Answers review by Alvin Gold back in June 1984.

Hi Julian,
Thanks for the info.
Another question I have. What do you think the bass performance of the Arcam One's? Is positioning the speakers properly going to affect the bass performance? Please advise your thoughts. Thanks.
Jeremy

Hi Julian,
Thanks for the info.
Another question I have. What do you think the bass performance of the Arcam One's? Is positioning the speakers properly going to affect the bass performance? Please advise your thoughts. Thanks.
Jeremy
Jeremy - they are still sitting on the basement workbench - years later. I sometimes listen to them when I am working down there but it's not "optimal" listening location. So I really cannot add anything to whether bass is improved or not. It probably does - as there is that "bass tuning" port on the back of them. No doubt another PF member will weigh in at some point.
Happy listening to you.
Julian

advertisement

Back