advertisement

Arcam Alpha CD 7/8/9 and 7SE/8SE... transport

Howdy

pfm Member
Does anybody know if Arcam Alpha CD 7 (and it's siblings) uses the same transport as 7SE (and its siblings)?

I have both 7 and 7SE and I'd like to know if I can swap transports between them. I don't have both on hand here at the moment (or I wouldn't be asking this question, obviously).

Thanks.

Yes you can, but you can also get a replacement laser and keep both machines functioning, the part number is KSS 240A. They’re pretty much all pattern parts now rather than genuine Sony parts but provided you buy from a reputable seller, you’re unlikely to have any issues, I’ve fitted a few without any hiccups... PS, they’re dirt cheap too.

Yes you can, but you can also get a replacement laser and keep both machines functioning, the part number is KSS 240A. They’re pretty much all pattern parts now rather than genuine Sony parts but provided you buy from a reputable seller, you’re unlikely to have any issues, I’ve fitted a few without any hiccups... PS, they’re dirt cheap too.

Thanks. I knew I could count on you. That must make them the biggest bargain in the second hand CD players market at the moment. Combine with Delta 290 or Alpha 9 amp and just add speakers.

I just bought 7SE, it was playing up, but now it seems that it has settled - must have tried it too soon, after it came in form the cold.

Thanks. I knew I could count on you. That must make them the biggest bargain in the second hand CD players market at the moment. Combine with Delta 290 or Alpha 9 amp and just add speakers.

I just bought 7SE, it was playing up, but now it seems that it has settled - must have tried it too soon, after it came in form the cold.
Yes that would do it, an accumulation of condensation on the optics would stop it reading discs properly. I have a deep appreciation for Arcam Alpha/Delta products, they were always excellent for the money and they’re a real bargain now. It’s pretty dependable stuff too.

Hi, i have a 7se and the drawer shuts immediately when fully opened. Makes getting a disc in a chore. Anyone know if you get a full drive unit? And how easy it would be to swap? Ir even if its worth it. Have an 8r amp as well with a crackle on the volume pot. Sigh

Hi, i have a 7se and the drawer shuts immediately when fully opened. Makes getting a disc in a chore. Anyone know if you get a full drive unit? And how easy it would be to swap? Ir even if its worth it. Have an 8r amp as well with a crackle on the volume pot. Sigh
Sounds like a drawer switch or PSU Problem to me, probably an easy fix

Maybe so, but i dont know where to start.

Edit.
Dont think its psu related though.
If i shut off the power when drawer is open i can get a disc in.
Power up, the drawer closes and everything else works as ut should

advertisement

Back