advertisement

Arcam Alpha 5 - Distorted audio output

Sorry if I caused offence zanash.

I'm really greatful for all the help I've received from the members of this forum, the last thing I wanted to do was to upset anyone.

I've heard the arguments for using decent quality interconnect cable, but this up rated power cable stuff is new to me.

Next time I'm out and about I will take your advice and see if I can aquire a loan power cable from a hi-fi dealer. I think I'll get the Mrs to swap them over randomly and not tell me she has done it and see if I notice any difference.

From an electrical point of view though, the main reason for upgrading power cables for ones with larger conductors is so more current can be safely run down them.

Filtering of signals is usually done using electrical components that have reactive properties (capacitors and inductors). The value of capacitance or inductance is calulated so that unwanted freqencies are removed from the signal. I don't see how a power cable can filter the mains.

But as pointed out by Rusty, I can't knock it until I've tried it, I may very well be back in a couple of weeks totally agreeing with you after I've had a go.

Jim3,

You seem a sensible, practical, down to earth chap.

Please post you results after you have made your blind test.

I'll say no more in order not to influence you either way!

My first DIY cable was made from 2.5mm2 twin and earth solid core [I don't think this is entirely legal as it is not a fixed installation] with a standard euro plug and an old-style, three pin plug without the insulation on the pins all duraglit-ed and cleaned before soldering all together. The future of DIY was alive and well. There is plenty written on the subject to read but trust your ears and don't get obsessive. Good to see the player is sorted.

none taken !......

just try a cable and see........theres no point trying to persuade either way.

the simplest way is to build a diy one....rather than spending loads of dosh ...

by the way my experience mirrors Ron's ....we may not agree on the various components but essentially were saying the same thing.

Thread resurrection alert.

I have the same distortion problem on my Alpha 5. I've located C416 on the PCB but there's no evidence of scorching or leaking. Would this still be prime suspect? And is it an easy enough job to replace if only to rule it out? I'd probably have to pay someone to do the actual work.

C416, 406 and 407 are very often knackered and should be replaced as a matter of course before you go any further.

I'm near Sheffield and can do this for you.

I thought I'd reply on this very old thread to say that it proved crucial in helping me fix my Arcam Alpha 5 CD player (purchased around 1994).

The capacitor mentioned (C416) was indeed the cause of my distorted audio, which started a few days ago. I purchased the required capacitor, fitted it and the problem is gone. Absolutely brilliant.

I did manage to diagnose and fix a DAC problem myself around six years ago but I could never have isolated this particular problem.

If the original posters are still there, many thanks! You've ensured that my CD player survives for a few years more.

advertisement

Back