advertisement

Arc Studio DSP

Mr Ian

pfm Member
Just come across the IKM Arc Studio, which appears to be laptop based Dsp that get stored in a simple xlr in/out box. Specs read good for £300.

Anyone tried it? contemplating it as a replacement for my DN410 whilst I hunt for a sensibly priced lyngdorf

The again more I read about Dsp the more nervous I get. Might stay analogue.

So the ADC->DAC works at 24/96 and the posted spec's would indicate its transparent.

The "issues" as I see it (which might not matter in your use case) are:

- XLR in/outs only
- One source only (so restricts where it can be inserted in a trad. hifi system)

I can see it working fine between a pre-amp (or streamer/DAC with volume control) that have XLR outs and power amp with XLR ins but that's about it.

Has the downside in a mixed analogue/digital system that the digital side undergoes a second conversion.

I am now totally digital so the room correction I use stays in the digital domain thus doesnt suffer a second ADC->DAC conversion.

Pluses are its cheap enough to take a punt, doesnt look like you need to be a rocket scientist to use it and if your room response is really bad whatever potential slight degradation its use creates will be outweighed by the positive affect it has on said response.

Note you also need to have a USB audio interface to do the measuring but these are cheap enough however might be a pain finding one with XLR analogue outs (TRS tends to be the dominant connector format but obviously can buy TRS to XLR cables to overcome this)

Peter

As far as I can see the audio interface is only used for set up and you can use third party usb mics.

When I get some free time I will see if I can download a trial of the software and compare it with REW.

My initial suspension is that with a usb mic and and the laptop connected to the amp input I should be able to generate filters without the box being present

I can see it working fine between a pre-amp (or streamer/DAC with volume control) that have XLR outs and power amp with XLR ins but that's about it.
This was my initial thought but I don't think it will work. The correction should be based on the full signal, so if you attenuate it via the volume knob, you will mess up the correction.

Very interested in trying this at the price it is it's worth a punt! It looks very well specified and comprehensive unit and ideal for me as I need to try room correction but can't afford to go the Lygndorf (or all digital) route just yet. Although designed for the pro studio market, I suspect they haven't thought about the HiFi market.
From reading the manual, with input and outputs being on XLR balanced connectors (as that's what the pro's use) - for HiFi use, you should be able to use a balanced to unbalanced cables. Their diagrams from the website showing it being used after a volume control or mixing desk out. So after a preamp or streamer with volume control (as I wish to use it) seems ilke it will work ok.
The specs don't say what input sensitivity the unit has but as a pro unit I expect a nominal 0dBm which is fine and with a max output of +17dBu (about 5V RMS) should drive any amplifier fully.
The audio interface they mention should only be needed for set up as the unit looks like it is designed for stand alone use, or If you are using a mic that needs phantom power (their supplied one does). You can just leave your PC connected to the unit to alter the correction in real time if you want to play!. A usb microphone should just plug into your PC or MAC which may not be as good but is fine for me as I can borrow a UMIK mic, with just needing to enter the calibration file supplied with the mic. I need to read the manual further when I get time but be interested to hear everone's thoughts.

advertisement

Back