advertisement

AR_Sound, Flashback and Hiline

xilefchan

Have anyone made any comparison among the AR_Sound (Green, Yellow or Skylink), Hiline and Flashback premiere DIN cables?
The price range of them are wide. The Yellow 1 and Flashback Premiere have been highly rated in the PFM. How to rank the performance of them?

Cheers

Yes. a detail discussion and I m sure the AR sound outperforms orginal Naim DIN. How about AR VS Flashback Premiere VS Hiline? Which comes to the top with how about a margin? Anyone made any test among them?

Yes. a detail discussion and I m sure the AR sound outperforms orginal Naim DIN. How about AR VS Flashback Premiere VS Hiline? Which comes to the top with how about a margin? Anyone made any test among them?

The only test I've done is compared a Hi-line and AR Greenlink. I used a Hi-line having previously found it better than the original Naim cable. The AR Greenlink is considerably cheaper but achieved similar performance with my NAT 01 - so the Hi-line went.

Thanks Steve.

I assume the following ranking:
1. Skylink
2. Yellowlink
3. Greenlink - as good as a Hiline or bu a small margin
4. Lavender

Flashback Premier - position undetermined yet.....

Any other comment from expereinced user?

I have both AR Sound greenlink din and Flashback Performance Premier.

The AR Green 5 din sits between my Naim CD3.5 and 62 preamp. A while ago, I put in a regular Naim din cable just to compare, and it really was a case of "where has all the detail and dynamics gone?". The AR Green went straight back in.

I had a regular Naim din to xlr between my 62 and 250. Putting a Flashback Performance Premier in gave real benefits in terms of clarity and a much more natural and uncoloured sound.

Both are excellent value for £££ compared with new standard naim cables, let alone a hi-line.

From what I read the Yellow seams to be on the bright side compared with the more full bodied Skylink. But where is the Premiere standing? Its price is bellow Yellow but does it sound bright?
I am asking about source to pre type of IC cable.
Thanks!

I wouldn't have said that the Yellow is 'brighter' than the SkyLink, maybe at first listen this might be one's opinion. The SkyLink does what the Yellow does and then some more if you like. The SkyLink fills in some of the mid tones and gives the music a more natural presentation.

The Yellow is fantastic compared to the Naim Lavender, but compared to the SkyLink it is maybe a touch more higher contrast and without the subtlty of the SkyLink. They are both very good value for money IMHO. Then there is the Lunar....:)

I've tried the Premiere (did a write-up on it at the time) - I didn't find it bright at all (but I didn't compare it to the others you mention, just the standard Naim stuff). I still use it between my Hi-Cap and my 135's.

I have Flashback Premier on my tuner, & yes its a good cable but TBO I have not tried a DIN-DIN Flashback on my CDP

Myself & a buddy have begged & borrowed all the AR cables list below & compared all between Naim Lavender & Hi-Line.
We tested between my CDX2/Supernait & in my friends extensive multi-box all Naim olive system.

We both concluded the same comparative results
We both commented that we did not find any "night & day" differences as per the over hyped reports from some quarters, but did hear differences.

GreenLink - sounds different, hard to say what but slightly more dynamics & maybe better sound stage than the lavender.
Yellow - one step better in all areas than Green Link but not as good as Hi-Line
SkyLink - arguably as good as the Hi-line, but different. To my ears this cable has more dynamic attack as heard in rim shots & plucked strings leading edge, it seems to have a clearer treble & that maybe gives the better leading edge attack. Sound stage was difficult to say, I felt the SkyLink gave a better positioning separation presentation, but the Hi-Line seemed to give a more solid 3D effect (with the right recording)

The new Lunar - not tried it

Other speakers/systems/ears might tell a different story, but to me the sonic differences with SkyLink & Hi-Line were down to a matter of personal choice.

Both good, very good & sonically maybe a tie.
The Hi-Line, although well made & it for sure it does look the business, does not have the same robust feel of the Skyline plugs. But we did prefer the real cable visuals & feel of the Hi-Line over the blue sleeving on the SkyLink.
VFM terms the SkyLink wins hands down. £184/m -vs- £550/1.2m

Thanks for the replies!
Mike-B, excellent and helpful review but I am curious as to why you haven't try the Premiere along with the other cables?

I suppose that most people who try AR Sound or Flashback cable just keep it without bothering for further comparisons.
Cheers

I have found the Flashback cables to be at least as good/if not better than standard Naim stuff.
I haven't tried the AR Lunar, but my order of preference is
AR Skylink--more relaxed, smoother, yet more detail than the AR Yellow
AR Yellow--Excellent upgrade over the Naim Lavender, similar in quality to Hi-Line
Flashback cables (though not tried the Premier range)
Naim Lavender.
I never really heard a Hi-Line for an extended home demo, only in other peoples systems (very similar to mine as was) & in Shop demo's.
On that basis, it seemed to offer nothing that the AR stuff does at more sensible prices, + it doesn't fall apart every time you touch it!
OK, thats a bit flippant, but the build quality is distinctly un-Naimlike.

Essentially, if I need a lead replacing, I go to Flashback, as I think they offer great products & service at sensible prices.
If I want to "splash out" on something a wee bit more special, then I go for AR leads.
Matt.

natzev, "why you haven't try the Premiere along with the other cables"
Its an RCA-DIN, not a DIN-DIN. (apples & pears)

Essentially, if I need a lead replacing, I go to Flashback, as I think they offer great products & service at sensible prices.
If I want to "splash out" on something a wee bit more special, then I go for AR leads.
Matt.

Very well said, Matt - thank you!

I preferred [and use] the Flashback Premier over the Skylink through my active Naim SBL, CDS system.

advertisement

Back