advertisement

Apple Watch owner’s opinions

I have an AW6 and it’s awesome - always felt I didn’t want/need a smart watch.

I looked at Garmin Fenix’s, they look way better and battery life is clearly a hugely superior. But the way that the AW interacts with an Iphone is absolutely amazing.

Have no need for any fitness tracker as I’m very self motivated on the exercise front and I don’t need to count steps or miles cycled to know how fit I am. But all the other stuff the AW does is brilliant.

I use Apple Pay on mine nearly everyday, great.
Yep, me too, Apple Pay is excellent, forgot to mention it, I guess I just take it for granted now. Has been particularly good in these COVID times. And of course the watch unlocks your iPhone when you are wearing a mask.

my wife has an apple watch, got it on a deal through vitality where you get a monthly discount depending on how much exercise you do (very clever). She loves it. Uses is mainly for exercise and for finding her iPhone!

To put that in context she has two iPhones which she loathes. A work one and a personal one. The iPhone operating system comes a distant 4th in terms of usability after Web-OS, Windows mobile and Android. If I had a £1 for every time I hear "why is there no f***ing back button?" I'd be very rich. So the fact that she likes the interface of the watch, and finds it useful is a big, and slightly surprising, positive.

I have an android phone and a garmin, if I could get an apple watch and link it to my phone I'd do that. But I don't like it so much to downgrade my phone to an iPhone!

I’ve decided to bite the bullet on an AW7.

I see straps mentioned a bit in the thread but I’m unclear as to which would be the best to choose purely from a fit securely perspective?

.sjb

How do you mean "fit securely"? Not move around? My one is so light that moving has never been an issue. I swap between the standard black silicone sports band and a grey Nike one, but they're basically the same.

ML893

It's the constant need to charge that puts me off. My current watch has a 10 year battery. I have another which is solar. Then again, I only use it for time and date.

Tim

I’ve decided to bite the bullet on an AW7.

I see straps mentioned a bit in the thread but I’m unclear as to which would be the best to choose purely from a fit securely perspective?

.sjb

I hope you get on with it - I’m confident that you’ll come to think of it as a great purchase, but do let the rest of us know.

As regards straps, FWIW I have a couple of what I believe are called Sport Loops - ie the ones made of a breathable kind of synthetic material knit, but held together with a Velcro fastening rather than being an elastic fixed affair.

The idea was that they’d be the most breathable, but also allow some adjustability. At the same time, never once have I thought they might fall off - security has never been a concern.

I am happy with the sports loop - I can get the fit exactly right, it is soft and comfortable, and very easy to put on as you don’t have to thread a buckle.

I’m on my 2nd AW so have accumulated a few straps. 2 Nike Sport bands (Blue & Black) the leather magnetic loop that’s my ‘dressy’ going out out strap and the standard Black Leather sports band it came with which is unused.

I’ve got the Black stainless steel version (had the Silver version before) so I use a clear protective case for everyday wear to keep it from scratching. I only take it off to clean it or when using the leather loop when going out out.

Mrs C has the latest version. Loves it. Battery life is an issue, but she does a mix of charging it overnight, or if she wants to go on a run of monitoring sleep, she puts it on charge foe an hour before bed.

Most peeps I know, that are iDevice equipped, have opted for the Garmin or Suunto in preference ...

I’ve had an AW4 since it was released and decided to upgrade to the 7. Looking at delivery dates yesterday on the Apple site showing last week of November, checked on Amazon and Prime delivery showing as next Tuesday! Guess where the I ordered it from.

I’m just rubbish at remembering to charge it. Handy for tracking a run, paying for stuff and useful for finding your phone. I’m sure I’m not getting the best out of it.

.. plus, as of a recent update, I can now control Roon from my Apple Watch - at least pause/play/skip/volume. And I don’t find the charging a bother - I have a little charging stand at my bedside so the watch becomes a handy bedside clock, and as it has some kind of movement sensor, the lightest tap to my bedside table will turn the display on.

Reactions: MVV

advertisement

Back