advertisement

Apple suggested strong web site passwords.

Rack Kit

pfm Member
Spent a good part of yesterday going through all my web site passwords and replacing them with Apple Suggested Strong passwords either due to warnings that they've been used a number of times (guilty) or involved in data leaks.

I was surprised at how many sites I've never heard of or visited had the email address I use for everything except work.

I'm guessing these are linked to the data leaks Apple warned me about?

Whatever, I'm hoping it helps cut down the spam I've been getting for Norton anti virus etc for a while now.
I've lost count of how many email addresses I've had to block that the spammers use to send them.

I thought by reading what others has written on PFM that it was "impossible" for Apple products to get malware, yet it seems they can :-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56172400

CHE
In the 12 years I’ve been using apple products, I’ve had one issue that was relatively minor and easily sorted. And by the time the world gets to hear about vulnerabilities like in that link, devices have already been updated/protected.

I thought by reading what others has written on PFM that it was "impossible" for Apple products to get malware, yet it seems they can :-

There have been several over the years, plus some real security blunders after updates that were quickly patched (e.g. leaving the root account accessible to local login!). What little malware has existed to this date almost exclusively relies on user stupidity to execute (trojans). It will be interesting to see what vulnerability has been discovered on the M1. I’m sure they’ll close it fast, they tend to be very good in this respect. Another big strength is Apple have the largest current version installed base for any OS platform across phones, tablets and full computers. This is a huge security advantage. IIRC 80%+. By comparison the majority of Android users are running an old non-current version. Loads of people running clunky old versions of Windows too.

In the 12 years I’ve been using apple products, I’ve had one issue that was relatively minor and easily sorted. And by the time the world gets to hear about vulnerabilities like in that link, devices have already been updated/protected.

Over 20 years using Apple and no problems either. I've never installed Norton or any other Anti-virus software as I don't trust them. Call me a big cynic/conspiracy theorist etc but wouldn't it be in their interest to keep the viruses coming so they have a product to keep peddling?

I'm not daft enough to click on any of the links sent in the spam emails but it's been a bit of chore moving the emails to the junk folder, blocking the contact and then deleting them.

advertisement

Back