Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple/Samsung

Discussion in 'off topic' started by zener, Aug 25, 2012.

1. zener

zener fluff

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19381096
    Interesting ..can you actually patent something that is a basic human expression , even when applied to a bit of electronics. The expressions done by hand movements are already in the public domain , just because apple applied it to a "touch screen" how do they claim the Right of expression, wider , move left , move right etc, this is really pushing the boundaries. I've been involved in patents , this is really fascinating for me ...how far can you push it?

2. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

zener

I notice you are using genuine bewilderment on pfm. I can provide documentary evidence that I first used genuine bewilderment on pfm back in May 2003 and as such I have a "look and feel" patent on the expression.

My lawyers estimate that you owe me a four pack of Summer Lightning and a packet of dry roasted peanuts.

You have the right to appeal.

Jonathan

3. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

4. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Samsung needs to reincorporate in China...... ;)

5. zener

zener fluff

Jonathan ,my lawyers inform me that due to your false accusation you now owe me a Firkin , yes a firkin of Umble Magna.

6. mykel

mykel Fat guy flying.

....and considering the "prior art" that Samsung were not allowed to introduce into evidence...

michael

7. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

Phanbois on both sides are going to be insufferable for weeks over this now aren't we?

8. mykel

mykel Fat guy flying.

I have no dog in the fight...just seemed a little one-sided as to what was allowed...

9. markb65

markb65 pfm Member

I for one am shocked that with a judge who has sided for Apple in 97% of the cases she's presided over, in a courthouse on the back steps of Cupertino, with a jury made up of silicon valley employees who wanted to go home on a Friday afternoon, that the judgment went against Samsung.

Might be time to start looking at some of the upcoming windows 8 phones by Nokia.

10. tqineil

tqineil Ubi fides ibi lux et robur

this one's got legs...

11. zener

zener fluff

Fingers.:D just one

12. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

chaps, there is a much bigger discussion of this in the teddy ray apple thread.

vuk.

p.s. ha. "teddy ray apple"--great blues singer or middle-weight boxer name.

13. markb65

markb65 pfm Member

Dammit vuk, you just reminded me of something.

No blu-ray in the MBP's. Bastards.

14. afewbeers

afewbeers more sense than money

I've been using the swipe movement for years to dismiss ideas and concepts and I notice that Apple are now using it to dismiss a page or information on their devices.

I'll leave it for the moment, but if they introduce a 'pah' or 'tosh' sound then I'm going to have to take it up with them.

Also, Rebecca from sixth form was first with the proper bounce back. Everyone knew that.

15. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

But it's not the gestures themselves it's the way they are recognised via the touchpad. Duh.

16. zener

zener fluff

Indeed , so you patent the touch pad.

17. John

John Fore!

I'm amazed to find out that the iPhone is not 4G. There's a pretty good selection of Android Smartphones to choose from which seem like a no brainer if you're doing data.

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

We're lucky to get 3G coverage in much of the UK, many of the more scenic areas still have no mobile data coverage at all. I don't think 4G even exists here yet, so no need to use a cheesy Android phone!

19. John

John Fore!

My limited use of a 3G vs 4G phone to download some info from a website yesterday reminded of the slow Internet service I had several years ago compared to broadband service I have today.

20. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld