advertisement

Apple launches “Self Service Repair”

@Tony L will be happy!

It is certainly significant and shows the pressure being brought by the Right To Repair movement is having some very real impact. Here’s a good take from Marques Brownlee:

I think he pitches it about right.

Louis Rossmann and Jessa Jones (iPad Rehab) apply an appropriate degree of scepticism, but I do think it is a very significant move by Apple and it shows we are getting somewhere.

We need to get on the bus too. Way too much modern audio equipment is not repairable outside the original manufacturer service department. This is true for a lot of crazy expensive stuff and it absolutely needs to change. Even if Apple only make screens, batteries, keyboards etc available they are still way, way ahead of Devialet and countless others in our industry.

I do not really see this as a simple battle between Apple and the RtR movement - just Apple reacting very quickly to changing market conditions. The whole corporate world is current tied up with showing how eco-friendly they are (call it what you will: sustainability, green, "digital decarbonisation", etc, etc), to be truly "purpose led" you need to show money/profit is not the only factor and you also need to do right by the community and environment. A simple announcement like above from Apple leads to millions more secured contracts for corporate devices around the globe (and it would need to - building self repair into current miniaturized hardware must cost them millions too!)-

The RtR movement is also starting to win from a legislative perspective and I suspect, again with a strong green emphasis, a lot of kit will shortly be required to be serviceable by law to keep it out of landfill. This can only be a good thing IMHO.

advertisement

Back