advertisement

Apple CarPlay app cost?

There's loads about the options on line. As ever, Google is your friend. Eg

Can you do it with a USB Dongle plugged in and then connected to your phone via Bluetooth?
No, android auto and apple carplay are onboard apps that work over usb only and provide full touchscreen and audio integration with your device.

They are also yet another expensive reason to drag you into a main dealer.

No, android auto and apple carplay are onboard apps that work over usb only and provide full touchscreen and audio integration with your device.

Have you read earlier replies?

Have you read earlier replies?
Yes.

I would not expect a 4 year old car to require the box linked up thread and for the dealer-only software update to be anything between £200 and £400. If a Kia Picanto comes bundled with android auto and carplay as standard, I'm sure a 4 year old mini can have it installed.

I know for a fact that it costs £400 to install these as retro fitted option on a Volvo XC60 of similar vintage and that proprietary dealer-only software is required to do this.

would you believe a brand new Porsche Macan, still doesn't support Android auto? Apparently something to do with enabled supported screen resolutions and/or screen size. Apparently there is a way to overide. Apple sh!ttery is fine.

£50 for my wife's Corolla. Dealer installed it during a service and MOT.
Didn't have it done before because of all the horror stories on the web. There's a moral in there somewhere!

Not USB only, a fair number of cars nowadays have wireless car play.

I use it quite a lot for navigation because it takes account of current traffic better than the built in nav system does (and doesn’t require a subscription to do so, unlike the OEM system) and lets me easily share ETAs with people.

Not USB only, a fair number of cars nowadays have wireless car play.

I use it quite a lot for navigation because it takes account of current traffic better than the built in nav system does (and doesn’t require a subscription to do so, unlike the OEM system) and lets me easily share ETAs with people.
And, for me, the voice recognition for destinations using CarPlay/Google Maps works extremely well.

My (used) BM came without it and BMW said it couldn't be retro-fitted because the original order didn't include something or other. They told me it was a complete impossibility. A quick trawl on Facebook found me a 'coder' not far away who installed it in 20 mins for £120.

advertisement

Back