advertisement

Aphex Twin - Collapse EP

Yeah that is very odd considering the AFX store IS Bleep!

Edit: so it's a four track vinyl release. With a fifth bonus track available as a download (or CD). And the AFX store has an additional exclusive sixth bonus track. Which isn't available in 24-bit.

Solved it - bought the 5 track 24bit version, and the 6th track as a standalone from the store. Only £1.50 extra and no FOMO.

Sounds ace.

Sunday morning. Collect the 12" boxes from the sorting office. Buy sticky buns. Clean the new vinyl. Download the MP3 and suck it into itunes. Compare Aphex with Autechre.

Have we come so far from the Major and the Bank Manager washing cars?

Anyway - like the new EP. Less pleased that for some reason iTunes visualiser has turned on and I can't get rid of it!

Listening to the tracks on Youtube now. It sounds like typical Richard D. James, so yes good but nothing really that would persuade me to buy it.

On the other hand his early material around '91-93 that I was buying was something really quite special as he had a pretty unique take on electronic music and techno. There really wasn't anything else out there like it. These days though, there are any number of hundreds of bedroom and laptop producers coming out with similar-sounding stuff, and so it's not having the same effect for me.

I'll give this a whirl on Friday night (amazon music)... I do have 'Selected Ambient Works Volume II' by them but been that long since I've listened to it that I can't recall what it's like :(

SAW II could do with a proper vinyl reissue. It's been issued a couple of times recently in the US but apparently from the CD and without the vinyl-only track. Which is a bit pointless.

I think it's an absolute classic. I have a slightly crackly copy of the original brown vinyl job.

I love RDJA, but this is a different beast. Far more abstract, with a dash of Photek and a big dollop of Footwork. Zero kitsch. It's very good!

advertisement

Back