advertisement

Aperture dies with Mojave

It been on the cards a while now the merger of OS X and iOS. Mojave is the last Apple O/S that provides any 32 bit support.

You can always have a dual boot Mac so that older apps still run.

Cheers,

DV

Has anyone successfully managed to export an Aperture library yet? I'm having a world of pain here as amazingly Photos doesn't have any proper import/migration facility. Apple really has jumped the shark in so many ways since Jobs died, idiocy like this is sadly commonplace on Tim Cook's watch.

PS I'm not prepared to pay a subscription for Lightroom or anything like that, though a one-off purchase is fine.

I have no experience of this product but it claims to be an Aperture users product.
https://skylum.com/

I have invested my time and money in Lightroom and pay up for the ongoing development of the product.
Having been involved in the development of retail software apps I have some sympathy for the cost of development of such apps.

I think I’ve now managed to at least get everything out and into a standard folder structure with this 3rd party Aperture Exporter. This has got me the original file plus a file for my final edited version, plus maintained all my complex project and folder structure (which seems utterly beyond Photos). This is probably acceptable to me, though obviously I lose any way to later alter an edit anymore, I’d have to go right back to the original and start again. The important thing was getting my data structure out as I have things very logically sorted as so much of my images are of audio kit, record labels etc the ‘by date’, ‘by place’, ‘face recognition’ stuff Photos offers is just beyond useless to me.

I now have a file structure kind of:

/Photos/Audio/Quad/Quad 303 inside(1).jpg
/Photos/Music/Bands/Beach House(3).jpg
/Photos/Music/Bands/Beach House(3) WithAdjustments.jpg
...etc

That is how I’d have done it manually, and it is now obviously easily ported to anything at all, though minus the ability to tweak beyond starting again from scratch. I’m still hopping mad at being forced out of a really good app I paid Apple good money for without even the slightest hint of an import routine on the current offering. I’m also going to have to cope with Photos in some context as that is where the pictures from my iPhone land. I’ll likely just export the good ones into this new file structure and effectively keep everything in a basic file structure. I’m reluctant to get sucked into another proprietary database format even if the flexible non-destructive edits are so useful.

For the cataloguing I’d consider Alien Skin Exposure. It started life as a film simulator, but it’s progressed a lot further than that in recent years.

For the Photoshop replacement I keep meaning to try Serif’s Affinity.

Both the above are a one time purchase, and there are time limited trials for both.

Apparently in the States Adobe have been experimenting with doubling the monthly cost of the Lightroom/Photoshop bundle. Were that to happen permanently, and in the U.K., I’d reconsider my subscription.

For the cataloguing I’d consider Alien Skin Exposure. It started life as a film simulator, but it’s progressed a lot further than that in recent years.

For the Photoshop replacement I keep meaning to try Serif’s Affinity.

Both the above are a one time purchase, and there are time limited trials for both.

Apparently in the States Adobe have been experimenting with doubling the monthly cost of the Lightroom/Photoshop bundle. Were that to happen permanently, and in the U.K., I’d reconsider my subscription.

Quite a bit of discussion on this topic in the Lightroom Queen Forum see
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/comm...anged-did-classic-just-double-in-price.36131/

With the quality of the jpegs coming out of my camera and the latest 'photos' I'm finding I don't even really need my lightroom though to be fair I'm not nearly as into editing as I once was.

If you're thinking of cancelling a Lightroom subscription check the timing. They insist you pay off a the full year before allowing you to cancel it. If you cancel in the month of annual renewal you only pay to the end of the month. If you're 2 months into the year they sting you for the balance of the annual subscription. Patrick LaRoque write a frustrated piece about how difficult is to cancel your sub. I'll add a link if I can find it.

Kevin

advertisement

Back